Cressa Ghitonia Village
What We Love
- A suite at a romantic hillside hotel, with breakfast, a massage bonus and a dinner option
- Relaxing in the earthy luxury of the hotel's spa
- Sampling the famous deconstructed moussaka at the restaurant
- Appreciating Cressa Ghitonia's gorgeous original fireplaces, exposed stonework and wooden beams
What To Know
- The pool is rather small and loungers are limited
- All rooms have private terraces
- Just a short drive from the seaside village of Mochlos
Occupying a scenic spot in the hillside village of Sfáka in eastern Crete, Cressa Ghitonia Village provides a charming and traditional alternative to the standard mega-resort. Instead, this beautiful boutique retreat oozes authentic, rustic charm from every nook and cranny and provides the kind of service that will make you feel like you’re visiting an old friend.
Housed within traditional Cretan buildings that remain untouched in layout since the days when they accommodated much simpler tenants – like olive pressers, winemakers and cobblers – the suites have been given a fresh, luxurious new look. You’ll find calming neutral hues accented by exposed stonework, wooden beams, original archways and traditional fireplaces. The outdoor pool is framed by pretty parasols, loungers and plants set in beautiful terra-cotta pots.
If you’re not content to just soak up the sun by the pool, the resort offers plenty to keep you busy. First of all, the small spa here is a must. Choose from a range of massage and body treatments, and enjoy the soothing Jacuzzi, hammam and sauna. If you’re up for an adventure, the island itself, with impressive gorges, idyllic beaches and scenic pathways to explore, gives you the chance to try scuba diving, a Jeep safari, rock climbing, sailing and more. Don’t forget to enjoy some local specialties al fresco at the hotel’s restaurant and bar, as well.
Cressa suites offer 270 to 375 square feet of space, a cozy seating area and loads of original features. The traditionally inspired décor blends seamlessly with modern conveniences to provide you with a comfortable retreat for the duration of your stay. Each suite also features a furnished veranda for lounging in the open air.
The tranquil spa is designed with natural, earthy touches to put you at ease and bring you closer to your surroundings. Here, massage and beauty specialists offer an extensive array of treatment options, featuring locally sourced ingredients. Relax in the hammam, Jacuzzi and sauna, and let your cares drift away.
Enjoy stunning views of the sea and mountains from the terrace, while savoring carefully crafted Cretan and Greek dishes. Local chefs incorporate ingredients from the hotel’s organic garden to prepare mouthwatering meals that draw on traditional cuisine, while providing an innovative twist, such as the renowned deconstructed moussaka. You can also enjoy international options and the Cretan-style buffet breakfast.
From Jeep safaris and rock climbing to scuba diving and sailing, plenty of activities are available to keep you occupied in this part of Crete. If relaxation is more your style, the area is full of stunning sandy beaches to lounge on. And when you feel like a change of scenery, this island is bursting with fascinating archaeological and historical sights to explore.
How to Get There
Would NOT stay here again: Spent 3 nights here --- The major upset was having a small pillow with several other items packed inside the case left in the room by the staff who carried the luggage down the steep hill to the car. When I called about it the housekeeper did not turn it in so I lost $200+ of belongings! NOT Ok!
Be prepared to haul your luggage up a steep hillside from where you park, if you're lucky enough to get a parking spot. Then possibly up more stairs to room. Otherwise it is a longer haul from "parking lot 2." Stairs to pool area & more to restaurant. Restaurant food was ok depending on what was ordered. The waiter was not trained & not knowledgeable about menu items.
Reasons it received 2 stars vs- 1 star:The massage at the spa was definitely the high-point! Nice view & peaceful. The reception staff friendly & helpful.
+The room is big and very clean.
+The sorroundings are indeed traditional since you live in a "cretan village".
+The bed was very comfortable and the AC has done a great job.
+The view is absolutely fantastic: you can enjoy a romantic sunset with seaview.
- Note that the "traditional" part comes at a price: you have to lift your luggage on an uphill narrow path for about 50 m. I know it does not sound much but when you haven 40kg+ baggage you will definitely not enjoy the heavy lifting (note that the pavement is not that good to roll the luggage). Parking it at about 150m from the Hotel which is perfect if you don't have luggage with you. The hotel would need to find a solution and help the guests with this problem.
- The breakfast (at least the not sweet part) could be way more diverse. Although it offers fresh meals (special omelets,fried eggs etc.) it takes forever to receive them and they usually come at the very end (after ~15-20 minutes) when you may be full from the buffet.
- Although the staff is polite and friendly, they are as friendly as they should be. You do not get the "traditional cretan spirit" that we noticed at other hotels. Unfortunately we did not get any "Insider tips / recommendations" from them. We did get some from local shops located at 30 min away to find out that one village away from the hotel is the cretan oldest olive tree (3250 years).
- Contacting them is a little bit hard. We were traveling for a special occasion (Honeymoon) and i wanted to surprise my wife with a romantic dinner. I tried to contact the hotel > 1 month in advance via email without any success. I tried again through a booking.com message and i got a very short and cold reply. Other hotel that we we stayed in during our honeymoon, were way more involved in making you celebrate this special occasion. Moreover, during the check-in at the hotel there was a special bullet point regarding special occasions (Honeymoons, Wedding anniversaries etc.). We checked it and nobody seemed to consider it. At least a warm "Congratulations!" would have been nice.
- No attention to the little things. We had breakfast daily and the breakfast staff still did not know which room number we are in. Note that the hotel has 15 rooms.
What a beautiful experience staying at this most charming place surrounded by mountains at the pittoresk village Sfaka. Cressa Ghitonia has an intimate setting with extraordinary views. We were warmly welcomed by the staff of mister Georgos who made our stay very pleasant. Everybody was so friendly and helpful. Nicos running around and being the always engaged team captain. Mamadou ever smiling and being a helping hand. Niki who is a magician with food - really delicious high quality. The ladies of the wonderful spa and the ladies of the cleaning staff. Great spacious room (higher price range) - lovely little corners to sit around at the premises. Good work out with climbing the stairs but we totally liked that ;). Being in this unique little gem is like being amongst the local habitants. The scenery is mesmerizing! Note: We had a car during our stay here which is also absolutely required to go around and explore the surroundings of the amazing island of Crete. Warmest regards Koen & Katrien - Belgium