Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt
What We Love
- Central location on historic Gendarmenmarkt square and a block from designer shop–packed Friedrichstrasse
- Sauna, steam room, massage services, an outdoor terrace and a state-of-the-art gym
- Never-ending breakfast buffet of regional specialties and more than 20 varieties of tea
What To Know
- Coffee addicts should upgrade: Only luxury rooms and suites have Nepresso machines
- Some rooms have balconies, some don’t; if you want some outdoor space, be sure to ask
- During the week, the area teems with people and traffic; weekends are calmer and more relaxing
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
The Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt’s modern cozy entrance is a fitting welcome for this intimate boutique property. The small lobby is overstuffed with cream sofas and chairs, and there’s fresh cranberry juice to welcome guests. It’s big enough for several small groups to sit and chat but small enough to feel personal. Beyond, the sleek glass and black marble reception and elevator area are a mere 10 feet apart.
Bed and Bath
All rooms feature Bose sound systems, flat-screen TVs and a delightful music box to lull you to sleep. Beds are plush and modern, with coal- and cream-colored marble panels, beige walls and thick curtains with lovely touches of color, such as delicate orange lamps. Luxury Rooms and suites also have Nepresso machines. Bathrooms pair polished marble with simple white sinks and rain showers; some have deep soaking tubs. Rooms overlook either the square or the quieter courtyard.
The top-end Aigner restaurant serves German-Austrian cuisine in the style of a Viennese café — think classy and unpretentious, with a touch of refinement. The wellness area on the top floor boasts a small but satisfying sauna and steam room, a parade of indoor loungers with views of the square, an outdoor terrace facing the serene courtyard and a fully equipped gym.
In the Area
Sofitel Berlin sits right on the Gendarmenmarkt, one of Berlin’s most elegant squares and home to the pentagonal German Cathedral, the domed French Cathedral and Berlin’s symphony orchestra. And a cluster of major sights are less than a 15-minute walk away: It’s a short jaunt to the landmark Brandenburg Gate. Just opposite the gate is the Reichstag, Germany’s parliament building, which is topped by a modern glass dome designed by Norman Foster. And of course there’s the Holocaust Memorial, a surreal maze of somber slate-colored plinths and a small museum documenting the atrocities.
How to Get There
We are in the hotel for 5 nights in a junior suite. We are already there for 3 nights and we are really happy.
The hotel is really clean and quite.
The breakfast is really good and the choice is really huge. You can find different type of fruits, juices, french cheese, french/German bread, croissant,... You can also eat sausage, eggs, smoked salmon,...
If you don't find something to eat there for your breakfast then there is no hope for you to find something else in the city that will fill yours needs 😉
All the staff is really kind, professional and helpful.
The hotel is also really near of all touristical attractions and it's really easy to reach them by walking. You are also near different shopping galleries and near the public transportation.
It's really a pleasure to stay in this hotel to discover Berlin.
Stayed for two nights for business.
Superb location in Berlin, easy travel to and from by taxi from airport or railway station.
Very helpful and friendly staff.
Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will gladly come back again.
#64 of 634 Hotels in Berlin, really?!! I can only imagine (or doubt:-)) how good are the top 63!)) This hotel will be our "home" in Berlin, and the following reasons will explain why:
1. Excellent location, imho the best area in Berlin, especially for those who visit Berlin for the first time.
2. Although not large but very functional rooms. Everything looks fresh, brand new, sparkling clean.
3. Very friendly and helpful personnel at the front desk.
4. Breakfast ... I just don't have enough words and space to describe. For those of you who know the quality of breakfasts in Munich's Kempinski and Oriental Mandarin, I can attest that it's almost the same level. And Frau Leonie Pauls treated us not just friendly and efficiently as other waitresses, but as her personal guests.
5. The parking garage CONTIPARK Friedrichstadt-passages (Jägerstraße 60) is located literally around the corner and within less than 100m walk from the hotel's entrance.
If you care to read my other 200+ reviews you will notice that I'm rarely so excited about the hotel. Well, Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt deserved it!
A Great stay with a great welcome and I couldn't fault any aspect of the hotel, it is the way a hotel should be in every way.Breakfast was outstanding and staff again,Concierge excellent and reception staff also,The hotel is is about 2 minutes from U bahn and within great access to everywhere you will wish to go also for those thinking of staying here, a must for all
This Sofitel on Charlottenstrasse was a pleasure. Staff was professional and friendly. The room was large, well designed, quiet. The restaurant associated with it, Aigner, had some of the best food we ate in Berlin. Can’t praise the staff and hotel enough.