VidaMar Resort Algarve
What We Love
- A stunning five-star beach hotel on Portugal's southern coast, with breakfast and dinnerMoody lighting, sumptuous treatments and luxe facilities at the health club and spa
- Delving into freshly cooked seafood and delicious local dishes in the hotel's restaurants
- Splitting your time between the beach, the pool and the nearby golf course
What To Know
- Onsite dining options include Japanese, Italian, and Portuguese
- The complimentary Aquatica Kids' Club is open 10am to 12pm and 12:30pm to 5pm for children aged 4 to 11
- All rooms have a view of something, be it the pool, sea, resort gardens, or Lagoa dos Salgados Golf Course
Modern, minimalist and five-star, Vidamar Resort Algarve, 10 minutes from Albufeira by car, shows off sparkling panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean. Sitting at the ocean’s edge on the coast of Portugal’s balmy Algarve, or southernmost region, it has direct access to sandy Salgados Beach on one side and overlooks a golf course and peaceful nature reserve on the other.
The hotel exudes a tranquil ambience from its whitewashed walls, panels of glass, natural materials and shady palm-scattered grounds, creating a seriously chilled-out vibe both inside and out. Dip into the outdoor pools and spend a day (or three) trying out the wellness treatments at the health club and soaking in the sauna and steam bath. Dine on Japanese, Italian and fresh seafood and sample expertly mixed cocktails at the Gin Bar.
How to Get There
We took our break from our busy lives after almost 10 months and wanted a relaxing vacation. We had already stayed in Vidamar in Madeira and thought to try out this one. Extremely happy with the decision and cant recommend this resort enough. We were travelling with a 20 month old toddler and really needed relaxing and quiet place.
1. Choose half board meal plans during your stay - amazing and never endingbuffet options!
2. The staff are very helpful and always willing to go extra mile - special mention for Luiz Camilo at the Reception desk who checked with around 5 car companies for my husband based on his choice of the car
3. Pools are well maintained, especially the kids pool and theres a drinks counter right next to it
4. From the resort, there is private access to the Salgados beach, which is quiet and an excellent beach
5.Rooms are ultra modern and well maintained
Overall can't really find any fault with this resort! Definitely will recommend to anyone visiting Algarve!
The Vidamar Hotel is simply great! Their whole staff is very friendly and helpful. The whole hotel is spotlessly clean, the rooms are large enough even for a family with two small kids. The restaurant is very good. One outstanding factor for a stay in spring, autumn and winter is the large heated (26-28degC) relax/kids pool!
We will definitly come again!
Beautiful hotel with exceptional service, I had visited this place back in February and enjoyed my trip to the fullest, the hotel looks amazing, it’s decor and the service. They have many near by restaurants to choose from all with delicious food and variation. The staff members are so welcoming and make you feel at home. Honestly I can not recommend this place more. Me and my boyfriend want to return here again to reminisce. The breakfast choices were marvellous and the food is just wow. The room had a beautiful balcony view with a super large bed and giant mirror, room service were brilliant. What made it so great was how lovely the staff were. Thank you very much for delivering such wonderful service
We had a really lovely stay at Vidamar Hotel and after reading the mixture of reviews before, we went with a completely open mind but did find that there were similar positives and negatives:
- Rooms are perfect, great size, nice and modern with an incredible shower. Nice touches as well in the room with flip flops provided, robes and complimentary water on arrival.
- Really good varied choice for breakfast and evening meals each day, with some options cooked fresh. We opted to go to Mamma Mia restaurant twice and it was a very good decision with great staff, food and loved that we were waited on rather than the buffet style. It's well set up with having €15 each to spend as we found we only went over this for drinks which is the same as we would have done with the buffet.
- Some of the staff are fantastic. We were really well looked after when checking in as arrived just after 10pm but still accommodated us in the restaurant. Similar when asking later questions during the week and checking out, plus when we provided our feedback the lady was genuinely apologetic for some of our experiences.
- Restaurant manager Olga (I think, blonde lady long haired) in particular took really good care of us, I'm seven months pregnant and she always made a point of ensuring I was well and had a good table seat along with the young long dark haired lady who saw us to our table each night.
- Outside space around the pool is good, not too crowded this time of year, very quiet and great sunloungers with towels provided.
- As I've mentioned some of the staff are great however not all. There is a real mixture with customer service and one evening my husband was turned away from the restaurant for wearing flip flops which I appreciate is policy however he had sunburnt feet and we saw two other gentleman wearing flipflops so opted to do the same (and these were definitely not sandals as Havaianas) but even after pointing this out the short dark haired lady at the restaurant reception suddenly couldn't understand English. Basically accused us of lying, we knew we were getting no where and becoming frustrated walked away from the situation to the embarrassment of all of the other staff around her.
- The main pool is freezing cold this time of year. Only one pool is heated meaning that all of the children are using this so it then become the kids pool.
- We went to use the spa facilities as one of the days the weather wasn't great and again customer service didn't quite match up. There are very limited treatments available, only massages no other services which is very surprising for a five star hotel. We both opted for a massage, asked to book and after being told all of the times available and selected our time it was at that point the lady told me that none of the treatments are suitable for pregnant ladies. I was really surprised it was allowed to get this far as I never pointed out to her I was pregnant she could see this from the beginning and I would have rather just been told immediately as wouldn't have wasted our time. This was disappointing especially as I was only opting for a foot massage and to be told that next week the treatment would be offered as there are certain points on the feet that can impact pregnancy. We ended up going to the spa opposite L14 where they were able to help.
- We stayed in room 112 and my advice would be to ask for a room on the top two floors if you want to use the balcony. Our balcony was completely shaded the whole time by trees and the 'golf view room' was definitely a car park view being on the lower floor.
- The indoor pool you have to wear a swimming cap, have absolutely no idea why as stayed in plenty of hotels and never known such a thing so didn't even bother to use it and from walking past neither did a large majority of the guests.
- Another thing we thought was slightly strange is complimentary champagne is provided at breakfast however no water with your evening meals. Doesn't quite make sense. We had already seen from the other reviews water wasn't provided with evening meals so had already expected this, a large bottle cost us €3.50 each night which we thought was pretty standard. During the day we found Oceano the local supermarket a 10 min walk away easy enough to get to if we wanted a change from the hotel beverages for a much lower cost as expected. From reading other reviews I wouldn't say this hotel is overly expensive for drinks especially for a five star remote location as pretty much standard price to other hotels/bars.
Overall as I say we still had a lovely break away, we stayed for five nights and this was the perfect amount of time to enjoy some sun, use the outside loungers and walk along the boardwalks on the beaches which are fab. This is a nice remote half board hotel perfect for a chilled getaway and exactly what we wanted for a babymoon. Shame about the few negatives and the mix service but hopefully the feedback will make a difference for the future.
Very nice new style resort, rooms and property are sleek and give good ambience. Half-Board plan breakfast and dinner buffets very nice smorgasbord of offerings. A little off though is having to pay extra even for just water at the dinner sitting. The beach is flat but nice long walks in either direction. Concierge and front desk helpful in planning excursions/car rentals. The main pool is ambient so a little cool in spring but the deck is a nice sunny resting spot. Overall a quiet family place, no lager louts or wild stag and hen parties during our stay.