Hotel Santo Mauro, Autograph Collection
What We Love
- 19th-century style marries modern sophistication
- Interior designer Lorenzo del Castillo brought a touch of whimsy to the regal lounge areas
- Pre-dinner cocktails in the Chinese Lounge
What To Know
- The posh surrounding neighborhood is packed with international embassies
- Breakfast is not included in the rate
- There’s an indoor pool and small fitness center on the lower level
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Once the lavish private residence of Francophile Duke of Santo Mauro, the namesake Marriott Autograph Collection hotel is redolent of Old Madrid with a side of 19th-century Parisian glamour. But the 49 guestrooms are thoroughly modern, decorated in muted tones and mocha accents with leather upholstered headboards, flat-screen TVs, iPod docking stations and parquet floors; some suites have cozy fireplaces. Renovated public areas include the Chinese and Red Lounges and a fitness center, sauna, Turkish bath and indoor mosaic-tiled swimming pool. La Biblioteca Restaurant, originally the palace’s library, serves traditional market Spanish food such as battered hake with mashed potatoes.
In the Area
For late night entertainment, head to one of the live music boîtes along Calle Echegaray or Calle Huertas for some jazz or flamenco to go with your gin-and-tonic. On Sundays and holidays the Rastro, Madrid’s sprawling flea market, provides a perfect segue into a rioja-soaked lunch in trendy La Latina. More active types can finish off the weekend — or the workday — with a jog (or just a stroll and an ice cream) in Madrid’s green lung, Retiro Park, or by wandering through the Royal Botanical Garden of Madrid. Art lovers will be in seventh heaven at the Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen-Bornemisza museums.
How to Get There
Almost every hotel has one thing that you want to change about it, or some experience you had that wasn't quite right. The Hotel Santo Mauro is an example of a truly perfect hotel.
From the moment Javier met us on the street as our uber dropped us off to take our luggage and bring us to check in to the moment Javier helped us into the Uber to the airport we had a stunning experience. Javier, just like every single person at the hotel truly cared about our stay. We checked in at the stunning lobby and as an Ambassador Bonvoy member I was told that we would be upgraded to a two level suite. What a nice surprise!
Javier walked us to the suite in a separate building and showed us our wonderful room. A very large bedroom well laid out. A nicely appointed marble bathroom with wonderful amenities and two sinks. A sitting room on the bottom level with a TV, fresh flowers, and a nice table to have a snack. And then upstairs where there was an office with an Mac computer, another sitting room with another TV and then a lounge room with a sound system, TV, big lounge chaises, it was great! Honestly I wanted to move into our room. It couldn't have been better. The views from the windows were of the Duke's house, it was really great.
Then we decided to try the bar, because the main building has some stunning rooms. There's a red room that was so well appointed, an Asian room with cool Asian art everywhere, and the gin bar that was very James Bond-esque. For Dinner/Breakfast you could go to the library room which felt like a library out of a movie or in a museum. And as an ambassador member our breakfast was complimentary.
The drinks were great and the food was great as well. They have quite a solid gin selection and I had the Nordes (a spanish gin), my girlfriend had a really cool cocktail with mezcal and sherry in it. Fantastic drink. For food we had some squid bao that was tasty and flavorful. Then for breakfast I had the spanish breakfast with great jamon and bread, and she had the pancakes, again very solid choice.
There's nothing I would have changed about our stay, except for the length. I really would have liked to stay much longer in this hotel to keep enjoying the beauty, splendor, and service offered!
This is the place to stay in Madrid, and we'll definitely be back!
We stayed here for three nights using Bonvoy points. Probably due to my gold status, we were upgraded upon arrival to a two level suite complete with a media room and a study equipped with an Apple computer. It was amazing! We really enjoyed the neighborhood and all of the staff were very gracious. Breakfast prices were very high. But we did enjoy the bar and found the prices ok considering the ambiance and service. As others have said, the property is very unique and ornate with a beautiful garden. We could not fault it in any way.
This was my first stay at Santo Mauro and it was a very good experience. Here are some of the positive points:
1. A refreshing experience of a classic Madrid, among otherwise ultra-modern hotels that rely on gimmicks and the fleeting fashion associated with modernist tendencies. This was once a Duke’s home and it feels as such.
2. While I often try to steer away from big chains, I have to admit that the staff at this AC / Marriott hotel do a wonderful job of assuring a great stay.
3. A relatively quiet location, just northwest of Barrio Salamanca. Lot’s of great spots to visit by foot... and short drives into the heart of old Madrid.
4. Very beautiful lobby and gardens, with multiple seating areas and two full bars. I would want to visit this beautiful spot even if I were not staying at the hotel.
5. Our corner suite was unexpectedly large, and the amenities were top-notch.
6. We had at least 4 or 5 windows, with attractive views of the gardens and the quiet street up front.
7. One of the best bathrooms in Madrid; elegant, very functional, and ample enough.
I can’t say anything truly negative about the hotel.
Just as a note: At over $70 for breakfast for two, it was as much as some of our dinners. Rates are a bit higher than what we generally reserve in Madrid, but the splurge is worth it if you want to insure a very pleasant stay in this great city.
If you’re considering a stay at Santo Mauro, go for it... you’ll be content with the decision.