Hotel de I’Horloge
What We Love
- A charming and cozy stay at a central, 19th-century hotel in Provence, with breakfast
- Staying in the heart of Avignon, just a short walk from the UNESCO-listed Palais des Papes
- Spacious and sleek rooms and suites that stand out for their thoughtful extras
- Stocking up on Provençal meats and cheeses at the nearby Halles d’Avignon market
What To Know
- Centrally-located in Avignon, right off of the main square and about a 10-minute walk from the main train station
- Rooms are on the small side
- Hotel staircases are narrow and hard to maneuver – something to consider if you, or anyone you're traveling with, have mobility issues
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
For history buffs and gourmet-lovers seeking charming Provençal digs, this 19th-century gem in the ancient city of Avignon fits the bill. And while the backdrop of the buzzy Place de l’Horloge sets the scene rather nicely, it’s the high level of personal service, warm and welcoming interiors, and seriously refined vibe that are most memorable here.
Each of the tastefully designed rooms and suites assures inviting décor and timeless, grown-up flair. Expect warm color palettes, plenty of rich textures and ultra-comfy beds. Nice touches include flat-screen TVs with satellite channels, complimentary Wi-Fi and all the mod cons you’re likely to need.
Spend your days getting to know Avignon, a beautiful walled city that’s strategically set high above the River Rhône. Don’t leave without crossing the arched Saint-Bénézet bridge, gorging on decorative arts at the Musée Louis Vouland and gazing in awe at the ravishing Palais des Papes, the city’s UNESCO-listed scene-stealer.
Good to know
Please note that a city tax of €2.09 per person (for guests aged 18 years old and above), per night is payable directly to the hotel upon check-out.
How to Get There
When we arrived after a long day travelling from the heart of England our inital thoughts were that the hotel would be very noisey and hot. The temperature was in the low 30's. Although our rooms overlooked the town square
we were surprised that with the windows closed street noise was eliminated and our room was cool. We stayed for 9 nights and enjoyed the wide choice for breakfast in the adjoining building. One omission a bar
very friendly and helpful staff, my wife was in a wheelchair and they were very helpful, our children had a very good time, breakfast was excellent, nice air conditioned rooms, location of the hotel is superb, next to the place de l'horloge and a 5 minute walk from the Palais du paper
Fantastic location, ideal for all parts of the old city. Just a few meters off the Place D'Orlage which made for a quiet night without having to walk far for the attractions. Very helpful staff and great atmosphere.