The Kensington Hotel
What We Love
- Simply, the location: Kensington is a wonderful area to wander, enjoy the Regency architecture and stop off at the Natural History and Science Museum
- The character of this venerable townhouse has been carefully and successfully preserved
- Efficient, understated and unobtrusive 24-hour service
- Open fires and comfy sofas in the communal lounges, perfect for relaxing with a specialist cocktail and one of the many hardback art books
- Furniture from the antiques stores of the King’s Road and Christies auction house collected by board chairman and owner’s daughter, Bernie Gallagher
- READ MORE: How to see London for free
What To Know
- Well located it may be, but the Kensington is still in the heart of London, so expect some road noise at the front and restricted views at the back
- This is an original townhouse that’s been retrofitted as a hotel, so rooms vary greatly in size, shape and ceiling height
- The air conditioning is ferocious and turned on by default – if you don’t like it, ask for it to be turned off before you arrive
- There’s an impressive on-site gym and massage facility, but no pool or spa
- Some Superior and Deluxe Rooms have ziplock single mattresses as kingsize doubles; if you prefer a single mattress request a queensize double
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
A stay at The Kensington Hotel places you in the heart of London, minutes from London Natural History Museum and close to Imperial College London. This 5-star hotel is close to Royal Albert Hall and Harrods.
Make yourself at home in one of the 150 air-conditioned rooms featuring minibars. Your bed comes with down comforters and Frette Italian sheets. Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and satellite programming is available for your entertainment. Private bathrooms with bathtubs feature designer toiletries and hair dryers.
Relax at the full-service spa, where you can enjoy massages, body treatments, and facials. This hotel also features complimentary wireless Internet access, babysitting/childcare (surcharge), and gift shops/newsstands.
Grab a bite to eat at the hotel’s restaurant, which features a bar, or stay in and take advantage of 24-hour room service. Quench your thirst with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge. English breakfasts are available daily for a fee.
Featured amenities include a business center, express check-in, and express check-out.
How to Get There
We had an amazing experience with the Kensington. We visited with our almost 2-year old son and the hotel truly did everything to give us a great experience. The hotel has all the facilities you would need with a small child. The kids menu is reasonably priced and has good healthy choices. The rooms are fantastic. There are multiple areas where you can relax or have a drink or a small bite.There is a large bath in the room and the hotel provides you with a mini-bathrobe and all kinds of extra's for the little one. The hotel is in close proximity of the Natural history museum which is great, also with a 2-year old. There is a very nice bar and a good restaurant which means that the grown-ups can also relax. The breakfast buffet is also wonderful. As a family we are definitely coming back. Everyone from the staff really gave us the feeling that we were welcome and at home. The guests are mixed, families, business travellers and couples which makes for a very nice atmosphere in the hotel.
This is my first review and the Kensington Hotel is worth it! Exceeded my expectations, the whole experience in London during our stay was better due to our stay in the Kensigton hotel, staff was very friendly and helpfull with all our needs.
My daughter (11) and I just returned from a week’s stay at this magnificent hotel! This was our first trip to London and we wanted a truly authentic experience filled with British charm and elegance and The Kensington delivered. Our accommodations (junior suite) were incredibly well appointed and “fancy” according to my daughter. It was also quite spacious which is rare for a London hotel room I’m told.
We were absolutely doted on by the entire staff which not only gave us great comfort being so far from home in the States, but truly helped make our vacation run smoothly. The concierge was amazing with tips and information but the doormen and front desk staff were just as helpful when we wanted to find a local restaurant for a quick bite or figure out which transport option was best. Additional treats included little surprises for my daughter like a custom made Trick or Treating bag filled with candy (we were there for Halloween), special surprise desserts and snacks in our room, and my favorite US newspaper and complimentary still and sparkling waters replenished every day. We enjoyed sitting by the fireplace in the hotel bar/restaurant every evening playing board games provided by the hotel while we shared dessert and a glass of wine for me every evening. While this hotel is certainly accommodating for a family, I would also absolutely stay here with just my husband for a grown up getaway. There were some children at the property but most of the guests were adults enjoying a sophisticated escape.
Of course there are other lovely hotels throughout London but none of them can compete with The Kensington in terms of location. I wouldn’t stay in any other neighborhood in London. This hotel is perfectly situated in a quiet nook of an upscale neighborhood with all of the amenities within a 2 block radius. It’s a 3 minute walk to the Tube which will take you anywhere but it’s also an easy, beautiful, leisurely walk to everything else you should see and do. I didn’t know how massive London was and was so grateful to be so close to everything I wanted to do without being in the middle of chaotic and crowded more touristy hotspots.
This hotel was a five star experience for sure and worth every pound we paid. Highly recommend and cannot wait to come back someday.