Palazzo di Varignana Resort & SPA
What We Love
- The Jetsetter rate includes daily breakfast and a three-hour entry to the VarSana Spa (per person, per stay)
- The resort is centered on an 18th-century villa
- Impressive 20-acre grounds dotted with fountains and sculptures
What To Know
- Parts of the historic villa are used for conferences and weddings
- Free parking and WiFi
- Free loaner bikes at reception
- The huge spa has a Finnish sauna, steam baths and an indoor pool with underwater music
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Set on 20 acres of parkland a 25-minute drive from Bologna, Palazzo di Varignana is a sprawling country retreat centered on an 18th-century villa. Formerly a count’s summer residence, the honey-colored main building is topped by a red tile roof and surrounded by gardens interspersed with fountains, sculptures and pine trees. The property opened in 2013 following a huge restoration project, with the majority of the 89 guestrooms in a series of outbuildings. The mod interiors are done in browns and creams, and all rooms feature either huge picture windows, balconies or terraces overlooking the grounds. Tuck into traditional Italian fare at Il Palazzo or light bites at the poolside restaurant. The resort is home to an impressive spa with a Finnish sauna, steam baths, a pool with underwater music and Jacuzzi tubs. Outside, there’s a large open-air pool, and free bikes are available to explore the extensive grounds.
In the Area
Make the most of the grounds by going for a stroll or a bike ride. Outdoor games and slides are available for kids, and there’s a running path that cuts through the gardens. The hotel overlooks what was once the Roman city of Claterna, and you can explore the ancient remains at nearby Ozzano. Bologna is a 25-minute drive away. Grab a gelato from La Sorbetteria Castiglione and explore the historic streets and palazzos. For an art fix, head to the Gallery of Modern Art of Bologna or the National Picture Gallery.
How to Get There
Near Bologna. Well priced with excellent food. Spa and outdoor pool are in great conditions. Rooms are air conditioned and spacious. A little hard to find. The post code takes you to within 2 kms! Very high standards throughout
We stayed 4 days and enjoyed our time there. The views and the landscape are gorgeous, very green and lots of nature. The area is very large and you can have nice walks. There are different swimming pools depending on what you want, two a bit far from the reception where you have more privacy, and the big ones in the center close to the restaurant and the bar. People were very friendly and kind. We joined the summer night activity at the pool and it was worth it. Lots of delicious Italian food and some tasty cocktails.
The room was good, however we had some moisture on the roof next to the main door and the shower had some yellow colour in the corners.
We didn´t get any bottled water in the room after the first day.
People at the spa reception were always very friendly and willing to help.
We stayed in this resort for one week in July/August 2019. Overall it cannot be called a luxury resort but rather an average resort with ups and downs:
- close to Bologna airport
- many pools
- spa facilities are good for a hotel (nothing special, however)
- massages were good but pricey
- beautiful garden and excellent landscaping
- for the most part, service pesonnel was friendly and helpful
- excellent service at Il Palazzo restaurant
- free water at the pool water dispenser (at least when it was working)
- screaming children at every pool (there is no adults only pool although there are so many pools)
- spa is a childrens fun area rather than a spa (do not expect to relax here)
- housekeeping below average standard, every day we had to ask for the shampoo, minibar, coffee and water to be refilled (I would expect this to happen without asking), although requested twice, we did not get a second blanket
- the only good restaurant (Il palazzo) is closed on most days due to events.