Greywalls Hotel and Chez Roux
What We Love
- Having the run of a splendid country house, complete with wood-paneled Atonement-style library
- The historic atmosphere, from old family portraits in the hall to memorabilia from golfing greats
- Classic guestrooms that get the country house feel just right, with antiques, chintz and toile tastefully mixed together
- Rooms overlooking the 18th hole of the Muirfield golf course and the Firth of Forth beyond
- The beautiful exterior, with Lutyens-designed curved stone front
What To Know
- Although it’s just 45 minutes from Edinburgh, Greywalls is very much in the country; you’ll need a car to get around
- It’s not a party place – best suited to sophisticated travelers who fancy rounds of golf, romantic strolls around the garden and a whiskey by the fire
- The property is near several of the world’s greatest fairways, making it the ideal base for a golfing break
- Greywalls has many lovely period details that will delight traditionalists more than modern design buffs
- Meals at the hotel can be expensive, and it’s a 15-minute drive to other restaurants
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
With a stay at Greywalls Hotel and Chez Roux in Gullane (East Lothian), you’ll be minutes from Muirfield Golf Course and close to Gullane Beach. This 5-star hotel is within close proximity of Gullane Golf Course and Luffness New Golf Course.
Make yourself at home in one of the 23 individually decorated guestrooms. Complimentary wireless Internet access is available to keep you connected. Private bathrooms with shower/tub combinations feature complimentary toiletries and hair dryers. Conveniences include complimentary newspapers and a turndown service, and housekeeping is provided daily.
Enjoy recreation amenities such as an outdoor tennis court or take in the view from a garden. Additional amenities at this Edwardian hotel include complimentary wireless Internet access and a fireplace in the lobby.
Grab a bite to eat at the hotel’s restaurant, where you can enjoy drinks at a bar, take in a garden view, and even dine alfresco (weather permitting). You can also stay in and take advantage of 24-hour room service. Quench your thirst with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge.
Featured amenities include a computer station, express check-out, and complimentary newspapers in the lobby. This hotel has 3 meeting rooms available for events. Free self parking is available onsite.
How to Get There
Four ladies of a certain age and we have 2-night jolly jaunts twice each year in a nice Scottish Hotel. This one ticked all the boxes. Very comfortable, typical delightful country house with tasteful decor, lots of comfy sitting areas, excellent food and excellent staff. Very attractive gardens. Located on the edge of Muirfield Golf course, it’s ideal for golfers as well as those who just want to be in the very attractive coastal area. North Berwick is nearby.
It’s like another world! The grounds and immaculate, the staff is friendly with refined service. The rooms are unique and comfortable. The food is delicious with a great wine list. The setting is amazing. Having come from an awful stay at Turnberry, Greywalls was a really nice experience!
This is our third attempt to stay here. The two previous attempts were thwarted by illness and a bereavement. The hotel were incredibly accommodating in keeping our booking open and finally we made it here. It was well worth the wait! The building itself is beautiful and the gardens stunning. The service is highly attentive with great food and impressive attention to detail.
We had booked for a lunch with some friends and we all had the 4 course tasting menu. Highly recommended, all 4 courses came on a square platter with the 3 smaller square dishes and a small soup bowl. Never had anything like this before but excellent presentation and small taster portions. Good tasty food , not ideal for those with hearty appetites but a great way of trying a "Roux" menu. Staff were excellent. We will return!
We booked a weekend stay for my mum's 75th birthday, and loved every minute of it. Even before we arrived we felt loved. Travelling in a party of 7 and booked into 3 separate room we took a call on the day of our arrival and offered a free upgrade, a weekend in the Colonel's House - happy birthday mum!
Location is very good, and surprising close to the village of Gullane. We also spent a day out at the national flight museum which was a pleasant surprise, and a very affordable way to take a trip on concorde!
Food was also very good, if a little rich, and enough variety for a weekend. The staff could not be faulted at all and certainly went the extra mile to make your stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible.
Nothing more to add, just take a trip and sample the delights for yourself.