Greywalls Hotel and Chez Roux
What We Love
- Having the run of a splendid country house, complete with wood-paneled Atonement-style library
- The historic atmosphere, from old family portraits in the hall to memorabilia from golfing greats
- Classic guestrooms that get the country house feel just right, with antiques, chintz and toile tastefully mixed together
- Rooms overlooking the 18th hole of the Muirfield golf course and the Firth of Forth beyond
- The beautiful exterior, with Lutyens-designed curved stone front
What To Know
- Although it’s just 45 minutes from Edinburgh, Greywalls is very much in the country; you’ll need a car to get around
- It’s not a party place – best suited to sophisticated travelers who fancy rounds of golf, romantic strolls around the garden and a whiskey by the fire
- The property is near several of the world’s greatest fairways, making it the ideal base for a golfing break
- Greywalls has many lovely period details that will delight traditionalists more than modern design buffs
- Meals at the hotel can be expensive, and it’s a 15-minute drive to other restaurants
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
With a stay at Greywalls Hotel and Chez Roux in Gullane (East Lothian), you’ll be minutes from Muirfield Golf Course and close to Gullane Beach. This 5-star hotel is within close proximity of Gullane Golf Course and Luffness New Golf Course.
Make yourself at home in one of the 23 individually decorated guestrooms. Complimentary wireless Internet access is available to keep you connected. Private bathrooms with shower/tub combinations feature complimentary toiletries and hair dryers. Conveniences include complimentary newspapers and a turndown service, and housekeeping is provided daily.
Enjoy recreation amenities such as an outdoor tennis court or take in the view from a garden. Additional amenities at this Edwardian hotel include complimentary wireless Internet access and a fireplace in the lobby.
Grab a bite to eat at the hotel’s restaurant, where you can enjoy drinks at a bar, take in a garden view, and even dine alfresco (weather permitting). You can also stay in and take advantage of 24-hour room service. Quench your thirst with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge.
Featured amenities include a computer station, express check-out, and complimentary newspapers in the lobby. This hotel has 3 meeting rooms available for events. Free self parking is available onsite.
How to Get There
Champagne in front of a roaring fire, a divine starter of Souffle Suissesse, superb service. The whole meal was perfect. Couldn't be better. Do take a walk through the pretty gardens. It is a wonderful house in a stunning situation.
The setting and ambience started us well with a drink in the old sitting room. The service was good, marginally unctuous but attentive. The petit fours, startser and main course were frankly superb, I had grouse which was tender like I have never experience and my wif's Halibut was so good we went and bought some to try and cook it ourselves the next day, The results weren't as good! The price did match the standard of food!
An impromptu drive on a nice summers day took us to Greywalls; Gullane. I went across with my wife, son (2 years old), and daughter (4 months old) for a ‘light lunch’.
On arrival we were courteously seen to by the staff, and chose to sit outside in the beautiful garden. I had a mocha, and my wife a hot chocolate - both fantastically presented, and delicious, accompanied by two lovely cheese and ham toasties with a nice side salad garnish.
We had a stroll around the beautiful gardens, and got to meet the resident tortoises (that were 80+ years old), the gardener kindly let my son feed them some lettuce.
We really liked the quirky garden statues scattered across the garden - and we will definitely be back again.