Kimpton Donovan Hotel
What We Love
- The DNV (damn nice view) rooftop lounge and pool area (open seasonally)
- Walkability factor, close to a diverse collection of neighborhoods
- Spy-inspired modern design, a fun departure from the staid Federal style
- The Kimpton Karma Rewards nuances such as $10 minibar credit, free WiFi and social happy hours
- Guestroom renovations were completed in March 2014
What To Know
- The fitness area on the second floor is on the small side
- Valet parking is $48 (plus tax) per day
- D.C.'s nightlife is just two blocks from the hotel
- A $15 (plus tax) hotel fee per night will be collected at the hotel
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Studio Gaia’s clean-lined design mixes urban chic with a dash of James Bond cool. In the lobby, long strands of lighting fall from a recessed section of the ceiling, from which a collection of transparent egg chairs is also suspended. Mod club chairs, along with platform and banquette seating, wrapped in white, olive-green and deep purple, encourage lingering and people watching. Candlelight and glowing white alabaster panels soften the somewhat masculine space.
Bed and Bath
The white and deep purple color scheme continues in the 193 guestrooms and suites. The low-profile rooms feature purple leather-wrapped platform beds with matching headboards and appropriately proportioned white night tables. The design-forward bathrooms are done up with bright white tiles and spiraling shower stalls that create the feeling that you’re standing inside a seashell. Kimpton’s signature touches include Frette sheets, animal print robes and yoga mats.
Named for Wild Bill Donovan, the founder of the agency that would become the CIA, the hotel hints at espionage around every turn, setting the stage for a young, hip (or those who like to feel that way) crowd that travels light and parties late. At Zentan, creative sushi rolls named after James Bond movies are washed down with drinks such as the Red Headed Italian. Guests can lounge in poolside privacy by day, but at 5 p.m. the 14th floor becomes a lounge dishing up stellar city views and sharable “tower” drinks such as the White Rabbit Sangria.
In the Area
Head out the front door and you’re within walking distance of the White House and must-sees such as the National Geographic Museum. Excellent dining options exist in every direction — try Pearl Dive Oyster Palace or Lincoln. Beer lovers will find more than 500 choices at Birch and Barley, while oenophiles can savor their favorites at Cork. Entertainment options also abound; try the Studio Theater for contemporary works, or hit the live music scene at the Black Cat, DC Nine or the 9:30 Club.
How to Get There
Spacious hotel room in convenient location for Washington convention center; management was terrific- they were able to upgrade my room & combine my 2 separate night reservations into 1 so I didn't have to change rooms each night (they corrected a mistake made by the central reservation line).
I booked this through Expedia and thought the price I paid possible has a good hotel, service, regular housekeeping and some good shower and toiletries.
I will just put it down here:
1) First room I checked in (714) had strands of hair in each towel set I pulled out from the bathroom it was unacceptable
2) Second room I checked in because of these issues (1009) had good views (corner room)
3) housekeeping missed my room day 2 and I came back late at 11 pm in the night and this is again unacceptable. I called Housekeeping and they apologized but this kind of service I have never faced or had never imagined. Housekeeping is a good control system, no wonder how they missed out.
4) Housekeeping just made the bed the next day. Bathroom towels etc were not touched.
5) Day 4 Housekeeping took all the towels and gave me 1 fresh towel, I had to call them to provide me more towels. The room had two adults, 1 towel by no means is okay.
The room has no coffee machine FYI, this is new.
I am not impressed with their service because clearly I have seen better or been in better hotels, either one but never going to do a Kimpton Hotel.
They only had one elevator functional and construction and chaos right outside their building so getting a cab was really difficult.
The bathroom walls are chipping. The heater even at 73, felt cold. They are missing a good duvet cover, good pillows and some how king bed felt like Queen bed, don’t know the stats there for the Kimpton Beds.
I have stayed at the Donovan as a single traveler--and have also just brought 30 people there as part of a group. The staff--from the patient bellmen, to the awesome front desk, to the caring catering staff-- simply overextend themselves to make things work for individuals and groups. The location is perfect if you are moving between capitol hill and the golden triangle--easy cabs, uber, metro or the opportunity to pick up steps on your fitbit. The awesome 14th street scene (so different from when I lived in DC!) is a few blocks north--and you can be on Pennsylvania Avenue in a 12-minute walk. We are enormously grateful for our great visit--and will definitely return! Thank you!!
A group of students and I stayed at the Donovan for two nights and had a wonderful time. The rooms were great and the service was impeccable. Specifically, the front desk workers were phenomenal. DeAngelo printed out many resumes for me and my classmates last minute before our event, was kind and helpful, and checked many bags when we checked out but were still going out and about in DC. Lastly, when we were trying to change before our flight, the Manager gave us a large guest room to change and was very nice about it. Thank you!
Had the pleasure of spending 3 nights here. From hassle free check in with Chris to a lovely clean well stocked room. It was immaculate clean and smelled fresh. Comfy beds. Good heating/AC. My only complaint was the lack of plug sockets beside a mirror to dry my hair! We enjoyed the wine hr and noted there was also beer and Cider on offer. Complimentary tea and coffee in the morning too. We had issues with missing luggage and Chris was very helpful recommending locations to restock up.
The hotel is in great location with a 24hr CVS opposite and we go food to go from a restaurant around the corner recommendation by the manager.
Would definitely return when next in Washington area.