What We Love
- Built in the early 1980s, it’s Santorini’s first cave-turned-hotel
- Private terraces in each of the 12 rooms
- The 36-foot heated saltwater terrace pool
- An extensive selection of local wines at the onsite restaurant
What To Know
- Flat sandals are strongly recommended for climbing the property’s many steps
- Guests under 14 are not allowed
- Room rates include continental breakfast
- The resort offers complimentary airport transfers to and from Thira National Airport
- Free WiFi
Stylish Cycladic hideout chiseled from a caldera wall
Presiding over the village of Imerovigli, an enchanting spread of sugar-cube cottages and sapphire blue domes, the guest rooms at this hilly cliff-hugging haven are far more Mediterranean holiday home than ancient cave dwelling—though there are plenty of subtle reminders of the hotel’s subterranean origins, including round-the-clock dehumidifiers that fight off excess moisture while age-old cisterns were fashioned into indoor whirlpools. Oversize Cocomat beds, rain showers, and flat-screen TVs spruce up the 19 units, and thoughtful Grecian details including folk pattern embroidered pillows and key fobs fashioned to look like Hellenic alphabet letter, infuse an unshakeable sense of place. The real scene-stealers are the private patios decked with olive trees and pots of lavender. Because privacy is tantamount here, only 12 of the 20 units are bookable at any given point, which means you’ll never have to worry about losing your precious perch by the caldera-view pool, waiting for a table at Pergola (a chic taverna whose chalkboard displays the day’s menu depending on the chef’s market haul), or securing a couples’ holistic massage in the grotto.
In the Area
Santorini is just under an hour’s flight (or four-hour ferry ride) from Athens. For especially indelible sunset vistas, make the steep climb from the hotel to nearby Skaros Rock, on the remnants of a 15th-century fortress intended to shield the island from invading pirates. You’re also just a 30-minute walk from Fira, the island’s humming capital, though you might want to steer clear of the overcrowded cafés (the port city is a popular stop for cruise ships). Opt to spend a more tranquil afternoon in the hushed fishing village of Ammoudi instead, where any of the quaint bayside restaurants promise a seafood feast to remember.
How to Get There
Once again we were blown away by this fantastic hotel this summer. The hotel staff all work incredibly hard to make sure you have a seamless, relaxing, enjoyable stay with them. We were greeted and shown to our room by the lovely Dimitris.
We stayed in the iconic suite which was incredible. We had a private outdoor plunge pool - great to sit in there in the sun with a cocktail (delivered to the room after a phone call)! The suite also had an indoor pool which we loved to use on the evening. The room layout was unique with lovey tasteful decor (as always).
Dimitra and Konstantinos were super helpful with recommending restaurants and booking tables for us. We loved dining at La Maison!
This hotel is exceptional we would recommend it to everybody! We can’t wait to come back again. Thank you Iconic!
Spent time in this lovely hotel which is right on the Harbour where you can watch the boats come and go. Perfect hotel for watching the Sunset into the sea! Will make a return visit. Breakfast very good with variety.
Loved our stay in Iconic. Dimitra was so helpful. The rooms are spacious and I love that the toilet amenities are Aesop, my favourite brand! I cannot recommend this place enough. The location was very central, the food was excellent and the views unbelievable. Cannot recommend this enough!
My wife and I stayed at Iconic for 3 nights in early October. This place is incredible! The photos show (but don't do it justice) the amazing views from the entire hotel - including the pool area and your balcony. My wife & I explored most of the island and felt the best views were from our hotel.We still talk about the breakfasts'. Whenever you wake up, call the front desk, and within 30 minutes you will have a beautiful breakfast spread set out on your private table overlooking the sea. I am very picky about having a good breakfast experience when on vacation and this tops anything I have ever had.The staff was everything you would expect from a 5 start hotel & so much more. They were always walking around the property and staying ahead of your needs - providing towels, water, opening umbrella etc. We went by their restaurant recommendations every night and we were happy with each one. This includes eating at the hotel one night, which I would highly recommend. They even went into town and bought me a cord for my charger since mine was the incorrect voltage (and did not charge me). I was blown away when they offered to do that. The service is top notch.If you are looking for a lifetime experience, look no further, Iconic will make it happen!
We've never felt the need, or the desire, to write a tripadvisor review. Our wonderful experience at the Iconic changed that. Simply put, it was the best experience we have ever had or could have hoped for. We could go on and on about what made our experience at the Iconic so wonderful but, in an effort to be succinct, below is a brief list of reasons why we've already promised to ourselves we'll return.
1. The Service: Without qualification, the management and staff at Iconic were the friendliest and most accommodating team we have ever encountered. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, the service was exceptional. We could list countless examples where the Iconic went above and beyond the call of duty - even for a top tier hotel - to make sure our experience was perfect. We couldn’t imagine better service!
2. The Hotel: The hotel itself is gorgeous. The first thing we noticed when we arrived is how perfectly picturesque the hotel looked. Even the beautiful pictures don’t do justice to the amazing views of the Caldera you take in as you sit by the pool or lounge on your personal terrace. There are many beautiful hotels in Santorini, but as we explored Imerovigli and the surrounding areas, we routinely remarked it seemed we had chosen the best.
3. The Food: The food was amazing. Each morning began with an abundant and delicious breakfast delivered to our terrace. Lunch and dinner were both fantastic as well, with dishes made from fresh local ingredients. We generally love to explore different restaurants and food options, but the quality of the food presented by the culinary team at Iconic made it difficult to leave!
Again, our experience at the Iconic was exceptional, and it almost seems impossible to me that anyone would walk away from the Iconic dissatisfied with their experience. The quality of this hotel is born out in their reviews and if there was a rating above excellent, we would give it that!