Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
What We Love
- The grand colonial edifices by Ronald Zürcher, one of Costa Rica’s finest architects
- Though the hotel is minutes from the airport, you’ll never hear a plane
- Nighttime dip in the sizable Jacuzzi under the stars
- Exercise possibilities: 24-hour gym, tennis courts and an on-site driving range
- Succulent tapas (try the lamb with a sweet sangria at La Isabela)
- Kuö Spa’s steam room, sauna and hot tub are free with a spa treatment, $10 without one
- READ MORE: Find your perfect Costa Rica vacation
What To Know
- WiFi is free in public areas
- Taxi drivers have special price rules when transporting guests from the hotel to the airport; elsewhere taxis should use the meter (la maría)
- Costa Rica’s dry season lasts from December to April; during the rest of the year it can rain for several hours a day
- Deluxe and Executive Rooms are exactly the same, but the Executives come with access to a special lounge, free in-room Internet and a free buffet breakfast
- The hotel frequently hosts large events, such as weddings and conferences
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
The mother of all haciendas, architect Ronald Zurcher’s design nods to the 16th century with apricot walls, a roof covered in 200-year-old Spanish tiles, spiraling decorative ironwork and a ceiling painting by a local artist.
Bed and Bath
The simple and soothing rooms are dressed in a palette of cream, gold and apple green, and they feature hardwood furnishings, decorative jars from Guatemala, and dainty Juliet balconies that overlook manicured lawns, slender palm trees and refreshing swimming pools.
The tapas bar’s undulating brick ceilings and studded leather chairs make it a popular gathering spot. Work off the indulgence with a swim in the pool, a few swings on the driving range, a set of tennis on the hard courts or some time in the gym. Or bliss out with a remineralizing mud wrap at the Küo Spa.
In the Area
Set in a suburb of San Jose, the Marriott allows you to be close to the action while being cocooned among mountain vistas on a coffee plantation. Still, you should get out to experience the city’s rollicking nightlife at the hip Café de los Deseos and Rapsodia. If you’re looking for a more low-key night, catch a performance at the elegant National Theater downtown. Barrio Bird offers great walking tours of the city customized around food, photography, art and more. Take a daytrip to explore the La Paz Waterfall Gardens, the Poás Volcano and the Doka Estate Coffee Plantation.
How to Get There
Have stayed here before. Hotel is 15 minutes from the airport and downtown San Jose. Hotel is clean, expansive and well kept. Many dining choices onsite. Pool and driving range are pluses. Rooms are large, quiet and modern.
Rooms were nice and clean. Good food quality at restaurant. Hotel staff were professional and especially helpful after I misplaced my credit card at the coffee shop. Because of traffic, somewhat difficult to leave the property. Would stay here again if I had to stay overnight near San Jose airport, but not really a destination hotel.
This hotel is set on several acres of beautiful grounds. It is near the airport but airport noise is not a problem. The pools are great and we spent 2 days at the beginning and the end of our trip to just laze around. The breakfast buffet was filling and good, the food in the bar was great and the margaritas are excellent! Free shuttle to the airport and a National Car Rental desk in the hotel made it easy to pick up and drop off our car. The staff were all very friendly and very enthusiastic about Costa Rica...even recommending places to see and eat during our stay near Manuel Antonio and Arenal.
We had a fabulous time at the Marriot Hacienda Belen! The rooms were nice and clean. The staff was so nice and very accommodating. My daughter and I used the salon and were very pleased. In particular, our waiter, Carlos Somarriba, made our visit extra special. He always paid attention to detail and went the extra mile. My family fell in love with him. We can't wait to see him again next year! I highly recommend that you stay there!
Delicious and huge spread of India food at Marriott, Belen. Their new chef spins out some very tasty and authentic Indian cuisines. Their Indian buffet as and when it happens is one of the best and has a huge spread for different Indian dishes!! Marriott has added a new star in their cap, no one should miss their indian food option. Great food, excellent experience.