Tabacón Thermal Resort & Spa
What We Love
- Tabacon’s pièce de résistance: natural thermal springs that wend their way through the gardens
- Mud wraps and top-notch massages at the Grand Spa (for an extra fee), reachable via a footbridge that crisscrosses the springs
- Even the swimming pools are naturally heated by the hot springs, which means sitting at the swim-up bar in hot tub–temperature water
- Looming views of the Arenal Volcano, one of the most active in the world, from your guestroom
- Tabacon caters to all sorts: families, honeymooners, tour groups, singles
- An all-ages water slide into the main pool, which is a short swim from the Arenal Wet Bar
What To Know
- The hot springs are a decent walk (down a hill and a series of steps) from Tabacon’s guestrooms, but a free shuttle is available
- Nonguests can purchase day passes to the springs, so that area can get packed in the afternoons; day-passers must leave by 6 p.m.
- Guests are required to wear a wristband, handed out at check-in, for the entirety of their stay
- The roads coming from the west toward Tabacon curve around the mountains and narrow for certain bridges and crossings
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
With a stay at Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Resort in La Fortuna (Arenal Hot Springs), you’ll be convenient to Arenal Natura Ecological Park and Baldi Hot Springs. This 4.5-star resort is within close proximity of Ecotermales Fortuna and Ecoglide Arenal Park.
Make yourself at home in one of the 103 air-conditioned rooms featuring minibars and plasma televisions. Cable programming and DVD players are provided for your entertainment, while complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected. Private bathrooms with showers feature designer toiletries and hair dryers. Conveniences include phones, as well as safes and desks.
Pamper yourself with a visit to the spa, which offers massages, body treatments, and facials. If you’re looking for recreational opportunities, you’ll find hot springs, an outdoor pool, and a waterslide. Additional amenities include complimentary wireless Internet access, babysitting/childcare (surcharge), and gift shops/newsstands. The shuttle (surcharge) will take you to the nearby beach or shopping center.
Grab a bite at one of the resort’s 2 restaurants, or stay in and take advantage of 24-hour room service. Relax with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge or a swim-up bar. Buffet breakfasts are available daily for a fee.
Featured amenities include complimentary high-speed (wired) Internet access, a computer station, and express check-out. Free self parking is available onsite.
How to Get There
Tabacon is average. While the springs themselves are really amazing and the pool area is nice, there are a lot of mediocre features. Customer service isn't very good. You tend to stand around a lot at check in and the front desk staff seems kind of inattentive. The rooms are just ok. Small and dated. The dining near the pool is expensive for what it is and of so-so quality. The main restaurant is good.
We (a family of 4) stayed for 2 nights at Tabacon. We arrived before check in time so we’re invited to change, given robes and took the free shuttle down the hill to the hot springs. An amazing place with numerous pools, waterfalls and relaxation areas. Free lockers and towels - all efficiently run. We visited the private Shangri La area which was so peaceful. We returned the next day, after a trip to the waterfall, remaining till after dark. The staff at the hotel could not be more helpful. Breakfast was delicious, the grounds beautiful and our overall experience was excellent. Would not hesitate to recommend.
This is our second visit to Tabacon. I just find the whole experience so lovely. The grounds are gorgeous. Buffet lunch was good. The thermal pool experience feels so exotic and decadent. This was the first time we used the spa and it was beautiful, albeit a bit overpriced. The massage was outstanding as were the spa facilities themselves. If you want a day of luxuriating in an amazing setting, this is your spot.