Shangri-La’s China World Hotel, Beijing
What We Love
- The old-fashioned elegance, including the cigar bar and high tea in the foyer, with classical music concerts on Sunday afternoons
- Four top-notch dining options like the Summer Palace (exquisite Chinese) and Aria (innovative Western)
- This is the only hotel in the city center with tennis courts; other active pursuits include yoga, Pilates, dance and tai chi classes
- The friendly, helpful staff, who speak excellent English
- Great central location by the China World Shopping Mall, plus good transport links (the hotel is near subway lines 2 and 10)
- Perks for Horizon Club guests like free morning coffee or tea delivered to your door
What To Know
- A 15 percent hotel service charge per night will be collected at the Jetsetter checkout
- Expect business travelers
- The gym and pool get busy in the pre- and post-workday hours
- Getting a cab during rush hour can be tricky in this part of town
- Aria and Summer Palace restaurants are very popular with local foodies, so make a reservation ahead of time
- Kids are welcome, but this hotel’s vibe is generally more formal than family-focused
- Free broadband Internet access for all guests
- No spa, but massage services are available
- The hotel was last renovated in 2003
- Free WiFi
With a stay at Shangri-La’s China World Hotel, Beijing, you’ll be centrally located in Beijing, steps from China World Trade Center and minutes from Yintai Centre. This 5-star hotel is within close proximity of CCTV Headquarters and Silk Street Market.
Make yourself at home in one of the 716 air-conditioned rooms featuring minibars. Your room comes with a Select Comfort bed. Complimentary high-speed (wired) Internet access keeps you connected, and satellite programming is available for your entertainment. Private bathrooms have rainfall showerheads and complimentary toiletries.
Enjoy a range of recreational amenities, including an indoor pool, a sauna, and a fitness center. Additional amenities include complimentary wireless Internet access, gift shops/newsstands, and a hair salon.
Enjoy a bite to eat at a coffee shop/café, or stay in and take advantage of the hotel’s 24-hour room service. Quench your thirst with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge.
Featured amenities include a business center, limo/town car service, and express check-in. Event facilities at this hotel consist of a conference center and meeting rooms. A roundtrip airport shuttle is provided for a surcharge (available on request).
How to Get There
Stayed at this hotel for two nights on a business trip and the bottom line is: overated.
Large lobby, friendly staff and quite nicely decorated business lounge that’s where it ends. The room I got was outdated in terms of equipment, small comparing to similar Beijing hotels and overall disappointing. T. V. quality is low, very poor selection of western channels, no radio, no digital clock and no coffee machine.
The food selection at the lounge was poor and breakfast, both in the lounge and in the dining room was very disappointing. Only few options of western food, small selection of quality pastries and common design and atmosphere.
I should emphasis that the staff I encountered was very welcoming, willing and friendly. Unfortunately that is not a substitute to unsatisfactory infrastructure. Sorry, but one can find better deals for the same price.
So this is a hotel that I have stayed at 20 years ago, as a kid still living in China.
These days, the hotel is still maintained quite well. it does not feel like a 30YO hotel being inside at all.
One of the big positives is the gym and swimming pool. Very well managed and cleaned. great product.
Room laundry and housekeeping staff are very very courteous and efficient too.
Now, let's see the negatives.
Rooms are on the smaller side. bathrooms are average, feels quite 1990s.
The horizon club lounge is very average, with limited food and drinks.
The hotel gave no special recognition to Gold Circle Diamond member in terms of room selection and greeting.
and the biggest joke of them all, breakfast. This hotel has one of the worst buffet breakfast I have ever had in the world. Comparing this to an average breakfast in KFC in regional China is hardly unfair. it is overcrowded, with no service and extremely limited spread. the chefs didn't want to be there, neither did the wait staff.
Overall the hotel is okay, we stayed as a family for nostalgic values. There are much better 5-star hotels these days in Beijing, unlikely to return.
Horizon lounge has an excellent service . Their staff is very friendly. The two specific staff I met are Seanna and Phllip. My mother spent her 82nd birthday here. They made her special food and drink, and made her very happy. We really enjoyed staying here for Chinese New Year and spent last few years here.
Will definitely come back again for future trips. Staff was very friendly and super professional. Service is great and amenities are very convenient.
Highly recommend for both business trips or family vacations.
Perfect Hotel Perfect service, I come to CWH with my wife for holiday. I stay at horizon club this time. The staff in the lounge Lucy Zhao, and her colleagueTaylor Dong Jason Li and Lily Xing gave us good service. Make wine for my wife. I very appreciate it if possible. Next time I will choose CWH as well.