Rookery Hall Hotel
What We Love
- The perfectly preened sweeping lawns to potter around
- Its eco-friendly credentials; an electric-car charging station has been installed
- Taking tea by the roaring fireplace in the Drawing Room
What To Know
- Chester is around a 40-minute drive away
- This hotel is not for the faint of heart; there are rumors of ghosts about the ancient halls
- WiFi and parking are free
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Starting life in 1816 as a family home, the Rookery Hotel & Spa was turned into a restaurant in 1947 and was transformed again in 1990 into the chic 70-bedroom country manor hotel it is today. Sweeping up the drive guests will see its exterior walls of mellowed sandstone, a gray slate roof and a fairy-tale tower. Interiors boast oak wood paneling, marble fireplaces and intricate ceilings, while bedrooms blend elegant antiques with all the mod-cons. The spa, housed in a former stable block, is kitted out with a 55-foot swimming pool, crystal steam room, hydrotherapy pool and Elemis treatments.
In the Area
The small market town of Nantwich is a 10-minute drive away. Wander the conservation area to explore timber-framed medieval buildings and pop into St Mary’s, a 14th-century church with an octagonal tower. Time a trip in September and sample the annual food and drink festival which showcases produces from Cheshire. Guests can reach Chester (for upscale boutiques and historic pubs) in around 40 minutes and Manchester (cool shops, hip bars and a thriving music scene) is around an hour’s drive north.