Villa Maria Cristina
What We Love
- The many romantic spaces, from the balcony with its beautiful mountain views to the patio-side jacuzzi
- Thoughtful touches like fresh flowers, candles, and free bottled water
- The tranquil Spanish Colonial ambience
- A private limo service is available for transfers
What To Know
- The hotel is adults-only
- Pets aren’t allowed
- There are no elevators
- The location isn’t right in the city center, so some attractions may require a car
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
You want columns, ornate wrought iron and hand-painted tiles galore? Well, this sweet 13-roomer sports all of those classic Latin American motifs, but with the added bonus of modern amenities like a gym, rooftop terrace, wine cellar, and jacuzzi. Suites are spacious yet cozy, with high ceilings, warm wood floors, and elegant French furnishings. The restaurant, which overlooks the street and has a fireplace–useful in winter in this part of Mexico–serves up both Mexican and international flavors. There’s also a jacuzzi shaded by a pergola and a spa with a sunken Roman-style pool.
In the Area
This stunning central Mexican city–once an important silver mining town-oozes romance and Old World charm, from the leafy plazas lined with European-inspired cafes to the magnificent architecture, breathtaking hilltop views, and intriguing underground roads. Get the lay of the land on the hilltop bearing the famous El Pepila statue, which overlooks the city, then visit Museo Casa Rivera, the former home of the prolific artist, which contains many examples of his work. Refuel at El Abue, an atmospheric restaurant dishing up regional classics like chiles en nogada, poblano peppers stuffed with pork and topped with almond sauce and pomegranate seeds.
How to Get There
We had very high expectations before arriving! Generally, I have to say that we spent a great time at Villa María Cristina, but to be honest, I have to mention a few details that we noticed:
1. We spent all mornings sunbathing or just relaxing at both of the pool areas... there were maintenance crews passing by all the time, and that's kind of uncomfortable, to say the least. Two out of our three days, the pool inside the spa area was treated with chemicals to keep it clean... when the spa was open for guest use, and not at nighttime when the spa is closed!
2. The restaurant food was very good, but... every time we ate there, it took too long for the food to get to our table! The bar was even slower than the restaurant: One night we came in to the bar to have a couple of drinks before going to sleep, and when I ordered a mezcal to the waiter, I noticed a weird face on him, then he walked to the other end of the hall and disappeared, and after 15 minutes another waiter came and asked me what I wanted to drink, because the first waiter didn't know a bit about what I wanted to drink... so once again I said a mezcal, then he walked away, and came back 15 minutes later with my mezcal... so that's a total of 30 minutes to have a mezcal over my table!
3. One morning we went to the gym to do some workout, and I wanted to use the climbing machine, but... it wasn't working!
Aside from those little details, my general rating of this hotel would have been perfect! Sorry!
We have stayed in a number of Relais and Chateaux hotels since 1980s after being introduced to their distinguished quality while running a company in Paris and Villa Maria Cristina is a deserving member of that special club.
It is a charming property that made us feel like we were staying in a private villa of wealthy friends instead of a hotel.
We were welcomed warmly by Sylvanna and Violeta who arranged for our suite to be upgraded to a higher level with balcony overlooking the pool.
The spacious suite was stylishly furnished with a large comfortable bed, sofa, easy chair, writing bureau etc and the bathroom was bigger than some hotel rooms in Europe with jacuzzi bathtub and a large separate shower unit.
The connected pastel coloured Villas give a sense of a very large well designed and maintained property.
We enjoyed dining in the restaurant and were looked after very well by Jose Louis and Alberto. The food was of high standard and very good value.
The location 20 minutes outside the center of the prettiest city we have come across in Mexico was easily accessible and quiet.
Villa Maria Cristina will be our first choice whenever we return to Guanajuato.
An amazing experience: clean and quiet, spacious rooms and immaculate green areas. The staff are hardworking and friendly. Daily bottled water, fresh flowers in the room and nightly chocolates. The pool, cleaned daily, is long enough to swim lengths. No detail is missed.