MesaStila Resort and Spa
What We Love
- The Jetsetter rate includes breakfast, an afternoon snack and a choice of wellness activity each day
- Javanese cuisine with a healthy, organic twist at Java Red
- Being surrounded by volcanoes and villages
- Mother Nature at her best: wildflowers, singing birds, fresh air
- Every guest is invited on a plantation tour, which includes a cup of rich, dark coffee served with palm sugar
What To Know
- The huge villas start at 861 square feet
- This is a secluded area close to the Borobudur temple
- The restaurant, yoga pavilion, clubhouse and bar are linked by stone walkways that are lit at night
- Best for those looking for a quiet stay focused on wellness
- MesaStila is 75 minutes from the Semarang airport; the hotel can arrange transfers for an additional fee
- Free WiFi
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
In serene central Java you’ll find the secret to Indonesia’s restorative powers. Set in the middle of a 55-acre coffee plantation, MesaStila is completely committed to wellness, healthy eating and mindful relaxation. Begin the day in the top-notch spa, which has its own Turkish hammam, and end it with a mocktail of local watermelon, pear and carrot juices. In between, you can experience boot camp–style sessions of cycling, martial arts, aerobics and more in an idyllic tropical setting.
Bed and Bath
The 23 Javanese guest villas dotted about the estate have an unmistakably colonial feel, with romantic, spacious interiors of cool tile, four-poster beds, antiques, Indonesian artworks and engraved wood furniture. Each has a vast balcony or terrace with views of the surrounding mountains and coffee plantation. The guestrooms are huge, starting at 861 square feet, with mod cons including TVs, DVD players and free WiFi.
There’s much to do here. Morning yoga is a highlight, and wellness retreats include fitness, destressing and cleansing programs. A coffee soap and hammam scrub is essential, as are such spa therapies as traditional Javanese massage, ideal for fatigue. There are mountain-biking trails leading to hot springs, or you can work out in the jungle gym, hike to the top of one of the eight surrounding volcanoes or join locals in the nearby fields. Guests are fueled by the wholesome spa cuisine at Java Red, where the specialties include prawn crackers cooked in heated volcanic sand. The traditional Javanese herbal drink jamu is on offer at breakfast (you can learn how to make your own with the local tabib, or village healer).
In the Area
The hotel staff can arrange a hike to the summit of the nearby volcano, Mount Andong. Or you can spend the day exploring the Borobudur temple complex, the largest Buddhist monument in the world. After your stay at MesaStila, consider seeing other parts of up-and-coming Java, like Yogyakarta, the country’s center for culture (ballet, batik, puppet shows) and shopping. Don’t miss a trip to the Kraton, a walled city built for the sultans of Yogya; today it’s home to a bustling market and around 25,000 people (around 1,000 of whom work directly for the sultans).
How to Get There
We stayed at the MesaStila for 4 nights for a short holiday. It was a wonderful restful holiday in a beautiful part of Central Java.
- The setting is beautiful. The resort is built on a coffee plantation in the mountains. There is much to explore and see just in the resort. A wonderful playground, beautiful trails and natural scenery. It was also so nice the way many of the historic buildings were repurposed and restored as villas and reception areas in the resort.
- Our villa was very spacious with a large king bed, a day bed and a small bedroom with a single bed. Perfect for our family of four. The balcony was spacious and overlooking the mountains. There was an indoor bathroom with largest bath tub I have ever seen and an outdoor bathroom with shower.
- The hotel is in close proximity to many sites. We went to see a natural waterfall and explore a locomotive museum where we got to ride on a train through the villages. Borobudur is close enough as well.
- We were able to arrange a babysitter for the kids while mom & dad went to the spa. The spa was very nice and the massages were good. As expected from a 5 Star resort but nothing exceptional to report.
- We enjoyed many of the activities arranged by the hotel including horse riding, an andong ride and plantation tour.
- We were not made aware that there was the option to make arrangements for special dining. We saw on the weekends that other guests had made arrangements for special dining on the lawn and also near the bar. Wish we had known about this. As a result we ate all meals at the same single restaurant for our entire 4-day stay.
- Bathrooms only had one sink each.
- Service was consistently slow. There was no one at the pool to order food or drinks from.
Would love to come again but will make sure to make special arrangements for meals.
We are lucky to find this place while visiting Borobudur. Beautiful landscape by the hill and the pool is interesting, overlooking the jungle landscape. Villa rooms are spacious and clean. Breakfast was yummy and the staff were friendly. Good parking area.
We were lucky to find another excuse to visit MesaStila. The place is so rustic, well laid out with a sharp eye for detail, really unforgettable. all of the premises are authentic, most saved from the lumberyard for its teakwood and lovingly restored with original colonial furniture.
There are too many activities to do, so just sit on your veranda and overlook the series of vulcanoes around you. Or go to the spa for a pampering hour or so.
The staff is well trained, friendly and polite, very good in English and helpful. They seem to know your name in advance of your visit.
No negatives? Not really, just that the chef is better in its presentation of the food than some of the meals, but all is relative.
Yessss! we wil find another excuse for staying 3-4 nights again.
MesaStila Resort and Spa (previously known as Losari Coffee Plantation) is luxury five-stars resort and spa, yet keeping the traditional, local and wholesome experiences intact, which accentuate the magnificence of the environment, the people, the culture and facilitate a healthy lifestyle- full of wonderful experience.
From the moment I stepped my foot in MesaStila, I admire a Colonial railway station with deep history. I stayed for 3 days 2 nights, and Our villa was gorgeous with its traditional furnishings, spacious verandah overlooking the amazing view of Mountain Andong.
The resort offers a daily round of activities and it is worth waking up early morning and I could join 8 AM yoga class with fresh air. The food is delicious with fresh ingredients preparing for you. You could choose seating indoor or outdoor. All of the staff are giving extra mile to make your stay to be good memories. Enjoy the magnificent view, the swimming pool, the indonesian martial arts training, the Javanese dance, and the coffee plantation tour. Get ready of your camera and capture this for your lift
You could take a local tour to a waterfall, walk through the rice paddies, villages, Grabang market, and take a bicycle ride around the area.
We only spent one night at the resort but it was magical. The Villas are spread around an old coffee plantation in a very peaceful spot. The staff are charming and very friendly, the food was good, the Villas are amazing. It is a little far from either Semarang or Jogjakarta airport but one can get there easily by taxi at a reasonable price. They will organise day tours to Borobudur. It is one of those must stay places for those going to Central Java, and if you have time spend more than 1 night there