Mandarin Oriental, Canouan
What We Love
- The spacious, impeccably designed suites and villas above a reef-protected lagoon
- Complimentary golf carts to explore the resort amenities of neighboring Canouan Estate
- Privacy—Canouan Island is remote, and the hotel accommodates only 60 guests
- The adjacent Jim Fazio-designed 18-hole golf course, with dramatic sea views at every turn and one of the longest par-3 holes in the world (305 yards)
- A TV set embedded in a giant mirrored wall in the bedroom that slides away at the press of a button to reveal the aquamarine lagoon
What To Know
- Round-trip connecting flights from Barbados are expensive ($500), but are included in stays of seven days or more
- Cuisine is of exceptional quality and variety, but will take a big bite out of your budget, even with a meal plan (starting at $110 a day per person)
- VIP service for guests connecting in Barbados eases your way through customs and gets you swiftly onto your connecting flight
Sumptuous, tropical resort where ultra-luxury, culinary excellence, and privacy are the rule of the day
The 26-suite Mandarin Oriental, Canouan opened to the tune of $120 million—and every penny of it shows. Even the smallest suite is 1,300 square feet and features a massive bathroom, separate dressing area, marble-encased entry hall, romantic bedroom, large living room, and private patio or balcony with direct access to the gorgeous (and calm) waters of Godahl Beach. Six brand-new, four-bedroom Lagoon Villas on the hillside above are modern in design and built on three levels, which is why their private elevators are so handy. The spa, with broad views of the lagoon, has two overwater treatment rooms with glass floors, eight treatment rooms on a steep hillside reached by a private funicular, a yoga pavilion, hair salon, and nail studio. Four restaurants offer guests a wide-ranging selection of cuisine, from a contemporary European/British menu at Juliet and Asian-inspired dishes at Romeo to the casual-with-a-view Pool Bar & Restaurant. The place to be later in the evening for socializing is Turtles, a lounge with a Hamptons-like flair.
In the Area
Mandarin Oriental, Canouan sits on the grounds of a vast, 1,200-acre private-villa colony called Canouan Estate, formerly Raffles Resort. Guests can avail themselves of the Estate’s beautiful golf course, kids and teens clubs, and four more restaurants, including Shell Beach Bar & Grill, where diners relax in shady palapas and choose from a selection of seafood and traditional Caribbean dishes. For a day trip, opt for a catamaran excursion to the nearby island of Mustique for shopping or to the Tobago Cays for snorkeling with sea turtles.
How to Get There
We arrived here via Barbados on the island hopper. The meet and greet off the flight cammiehtwas perfect.
The check in at the hotel was seamless. Thanks to Christel and Lennie for all their help. It is difficult to single out individual staff as all the staff have been incredibly helpful .
Apart from the beautiful surroundings and Immaculate hotel , the one thing that stands out is the service.. incredible.
We have eaten in most of the restaurants and the standard is great. The kids have been well catered for.
They have loved the water sports and feeding the abundance of tortoises.
We have been fortunate to stay in other nice places but the MO is certainly the best we have encountered...
Truly paradise. All aspects fo the trip were fantastic. Part of the excitement is the island hopper from Barbados to Canouan. The Mandarin's service was spectacular. Could not ask for better. The activity staff kept you extremely busy with sailing, snorkeling, water sports and biking. The restaurant rotation was a great idea so you continually ate at different restaurants with different theses on the property. All were great and the food was wonderful
Wonderful hotel. Extremely luxurious with superb staff. Lovely suite and bathroom, almost on the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Very quiet at this time of the year. Really good breakfasts, but for our taste, the other meals were just ok. The infinity pool was warm and inviting and the sun beds extremely comfortable. Danny, our butler, was delightful.