Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge
What We Love
- Private balconies with views of the mountains or the Caribbean
- Friendly and attentive service at this family-owned resort
- The infinity pool, with its sea views
- A plethora of activities can be arranged through the resort
What To Know
- Rooms have air conditioning
- Free parking and WiFi
- Santo Domingo is about 130 miles away
- Eco friendly
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
Flourishing green mountains form the backdrop for this secluded hilltop resort on the Dominican Republic’s unspoiled southwestern peninsula. Made up of 12 rooms, the family-owned Casa Bonita puts ecological wonder within reach, in the form of vast Jaragua National Park. And after a horseback ride, a cycling adventure or a hidden cave trek, a dip in the infinity pool followed by a sunset dinner of fresh-caught fish in the open-air dining room will feel just right.
Bed and Bath
Transformed from a private summer house into a boutique escape in 1991, the property has 12 cabanas that have either a kingsize bed or two double beds and are minimally decorated with wooden furnishings and accents, tile floors and thatch roofs. The graphic art adorning the otherwise spare walls is by acclaimed conservation photographer Eladio Fernandez. The spa-like bathrooms have open showers, sand-tinted tiles and cool wood surfaces. The private balconies off each room have 180-degree views of the Caribbean or the mountains. There’s also a small wine cooler in every room, which can be stocked in advance of your arrival for a fee.
Despite its secluded location, Casa Bonita’s restaurant uses the freshest local ingredients, including daily deliveries of fish from nearby Barahona. The simple breakfast menu includes sweet crepes, while the standout dinner menu digs deeper into Dominican flavors, with dishes like zesty shellfish spaghetti or pork chops with passion fruit sauce, served in the open-air thatch-roofed dining room. Once they’re settled in, guests can immerse themselves in the natural surroundings. The resort’s wide variety of active adventures in Jaragua National Park, an immense nature reserve, will keep you busy; from horseback riding and cycling to nature walks and birdwatching excursions, the resort can arrange it all.
In the Area
Down the hill from the resort, Bahoruco Beach has some of the best surf in the area. Grab your board and hang ten with the locals. Immerse yourself in the thermal waters of Canoa, which top out at 108 degrees, and let the natural properties soothe your body. For an equally refreshing experience, take a dip in the cool rushing waters at Villa Miriam, a private waterfront villa. Discover ancient pictographs and rock engravings in the caves of Jaragua National Park, a lush ecological treasure that includes a sun-soaked pebble beach. Many attractions in the area are just off the Barahona-Paraiso highway, including such small villages as Paraiso and Cachote, secluded beaches and scenic overlooks worth a photo op. The resort can help you plan an itinerary or arrange a tour.
How to Get There
This is my third visit to Casa Bonita and I intend to return. The property has improved over time but presents marked Highs and Lows:
1. The view is spectacular
2. The open air spa by the babbling brook in the tropical forest
3. Amenities have been upgraded over time
4. Food options for all meals are excellent
5. Personnel are friendly and their scripts have been improved over time as well
6. Bathrooms have been upgraded
7. New Villa options by the river and a larger family unit are now available
8. Ziplining is fun and we'll organized here
1. Our unit was infested with mosquitoes. We never opened the unit. When we entered initially we swatted down three. Sleeping was difficult at best with the continuous mosquito buzzing and itching mosquito bites.
2. The AC console in our room spewed cold air directly on our heads...not good for avoiding congestion. We wound up sleeping with our heads towards the opposite side of the bed.
3. Service was friendly but poor. During lunch we ordered drinks twice and they never came. We wound up fetching drinks from our room.
During the initial reservation I requested a massage for our initial afternoon. This was reconfirmed by email and then subsequently by phone. When we checked in promptly at the designated check in time we were informed our slot had been given to someone else. Ultimately we received a call reconfirming our slot, but his back and forth should not have happened in the first place at a Small Luxury Hotel of the World member.
4. As an "amenity" the hotel has an employee who "washes" your vehicle before your departure as a "courtesy". It is a nice gesture, but NO ONE should wash my vehicle unless it is done with clean cloths and appropriate amounts of water and car shampoo. Otherwise the grime accumulated driving to Casa Bonita SCRATCHES the paint finish and exterior plastics, which is exactly what happened to my new vehicle with the old rag used by the nice gentleman who "washes" cars there. AT A MINIMUM VISITORS SHOULD BE ASKED IF THEY WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THEIR CARS RECEIVE THIS TREATMENT.
Having said all of this, I will be back, with insecticide, selecting a room with a different AC placement, with clear instructions not to "wash" my car which will have received paint treatment after the current scratching, and with renewed patience to anticipate service shortfalls. The view, the food, the spa, the zipline and the nice attitude of the staff are actually worth the hassles.
Stayed at the river cabanas, incredible setting, great service. Food was excellent, room service too.. Did not want to leave the room! The tour to the Cave of the virgin was fantastic, the Temascal and massage session were great.
Amazing weekend surrounded by nature, the river suites are immerse in the jungle right in front of the river, Spa service and treatment are one of the best I’ve had in the world, including a Temascal. Would definitely come back very soon 🙏🏽
In terms of location , vistas, protected forest and streams, CASA BONITA is the best spot the Dominican Republic has to offer.Spa is loving en the treatments are excellent . Restaurant menus also very good.I loved it !
Possible the best hotel in Barahona. Great food and excellent service.
Rooms are nice and offers all basic standards. Wonderful Spa very unique and offers you the possibility to enjoy the beauty of the area.