El Convento Boutique Hotel
What We Love
- Locally sourced squash in the ravioli with loroco-flower sauce, courtesy of the on-site restaurant
- Romantic room touches like fireplaces and private decks with Jacuzzi tubs
- Location down a cobblestone street across from a historic convent
What To Know
- On-site parking is available
- The drive/cab ride from the airport can take an hour in traffic
- In-room wireless Internet access is available
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
Tucked down a cobblestone street, El Convento steps back into Guatemala’s colonial past with exposed wooden beams, large roaring fireplaces and textured walls. The on-site restaurant and its breezy outdoor seating offer traditional Guatemalan dishes, house-made tea infusions and an impressive wine cellar. Rooms split the difference between old-world charm and modern comforts with stone walls, muted Guatemalan textiles, flat-screen TVs and iPod docks. Romantic touches include fireplaces, rain showers and outdoor hot tubs.
In the Area
Antigua is nestled at the foot of Guatemala’s volcanoes with a cobblestone downtown area melding both native and European cultures. Admire a Hispanic-period, glass-and-ceramic collection at Museo Vigua de Arte Precolombino, or stop by the gallery-restaurant Sobremesa for dinner and one of 40 exotic house-made ice cream flavors (try the Jasmine Blackberry). An open-air bar at Café Sky and 360-degree, rooftop mountain views is an ideal scenic spot to enjoy over cocktails. For those itching to get out and explore firsthand, Old Town Outfitters has a range of afternoon itineraries, including bike and kayak excursions.
How to Get There
An amazing place with very friendly and helpful staff. Serene common areas with the sound of water and an enviable view to the Volcano! Highly recommend an evening drink at the top terrace under the centenary tree and view to volcano
My wife and I stayed in a Superior Suite for 2 nights. The staff is very professional and friendly. The entire hotel is beautiful and very clean inside. Our room was very inviting and relaxing. Fantastic shower. Large tub... plenty of room for 2. The hotel's location is perfect... on the quieter side of Antigua, but still only blocks away from the main restaurants, bars, ruins, etc. It doesn't have the best views of the mountains and volcanoes on the upper terrace (you can still see them), but a walk up to cerro de alux only took about 10-15 minutes.
If I'm going to be picky and list any detractors, it would be the following:
1) I think the staff should run the outdoor spas / jacuzzis a little more regularly to flush the plumbing. Our water was definitely pungent and had some debris when it was turned on by the staff.
2) It would be nice if some of the patio furniture pillows were out for longer periods of time. I think there were rain chances while we were there, so perhaps that is why they were not out during the evenings and night.
3) The toiletries (shampoo and body wash) aren't the greatest. The bar soap provided was very nice, but the shampoo, body wash, and conditioner seemed generic.
4) The wood floors are definitely loud! There is definitely no sneaking around if you wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. We could also hear the people above us, but it wasn't enough to keep us awake or anything like that. Guests sensitive to noise might want to request a second floor room.
5) My wife said the breakfast (black beans and tamale) could've used more seasoning. She is a native Guatemalan. I thought all the food and service was excellent.
Overall a wonderful place to stay in my opinion. Beautiful grounds, lovely room, great staff, excellent location.
We had a great stay at El Convento Boutique Hotel! The hotel is a cool and calm respite after a hot day. It is in a great, central location, but still very quiet. Everyone was very welcoming and accommodating. The hotel was especially helpful in setting up transportation and tours for us. The hotel itself is beautiful, well decorated, private and very clean. We could not have asked for more!
Hotel facilities very nice. Service not to the level. Food good but also could be better.The check out process very unefficient.The room very beatiful and also the bathroom. Clean and very well located. You can walk to main Antigua atractions .
Loved the hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful. Restaurant had amazing food and options. Great selection for vegetarian. Very clean toom and bathroom. Beds and pillow were comfortable. I will definitely come back and recommend to family and friends.