What We Love
- Remote location on a private cay nine miles off the coast of Belize, with just 12 guestrooms
- Diving paradise: The property is just three miles from the world’s second-largest barrier reef
- Delicious meals prepared by local chefs are served family-style in the covered restaurant or under the stars
- Eco-friendly: Electricity is mainly generated by wind and solar power
- Air conditioning is available in all units
What To Know
- The hotel recommends that you book your international flight into Belize City for an arrival of no later than 3:30 PM, as the last Maya Island Air or Tropic Air flights depart Belize City for Dangriga at 5:00 PM
- The beaches are small pockets of sand rather than long stretches of shoreline
- Guests go here to get off the grid; WiFi is only available in the main palapa
- A 10 percent service charge per night will be collected at the Jetsetter checkout
- Free WiFi
Off the coast of Dangriga, Belize, Thatch Caye Resort is a private island hideaway for underwater adventures and going off the grid in style. A robust ecology program is at the heart of island life, with buildings set on stilts and electricity supplied by wind and solar power alone. The five overwater bungalows are best for romance, with spectacular views of the gin-clear sea and the islands in the distance (best viewed from the hammock on your private deck). All have private bathrooms, cool tile floors and ceilings made from bamboo or wild cane. Four cabanas offer more space to spread out, plus huge furnished roof decks for taking in the island scenery. Meals are served family-style three times a day; all are organic Garifuna, Mayan and international dishes prepared by local chefs. After dinner most guests head to the overwater Starfish Bar for a tropical cocktail, then turn in early to rest up for another full day of water sports, snorkeling and scuba diving — after some beachside lounging in the morning.
In the Area
With the world’s second-largest barrier reef just offshore, the focus here is on underwater adventures and water sports. Favorite dive sites include the renowned Blue Hole, South Water Caye Marine Reserve and Glover’s Reef, but non-divers can still see a wealth of marine life on guided snorkeling excursions. Above the water, guests can practice paddleboarding and kayaking direct from the hotel, go fishing with a guide (catch-and-release only) or head to the mainland for caving, hiking and cultural tours near the Mopan River.
How to Get There
Just spent 5days and 4 nights at this wonderful place. Ben is the best bartender ever. Everything was great. The food was amazing, the staff couldn’t have been more helpful and friendly. This was the ultimate experience and I’m glad I got to share it with some of my closest friends.
My wife and I decided to take a trip to Belize for our 15 year wedding anniversary. Our 1st trip ever to Belize started by spending two nights at the Thatch Caye Resort. The island is absolutely beautiful and well maintained. The pictures posted on Trip Advisor and the resorts website was exactly how it looked in person. When we arrived we were immediately greeted by the managers, Mr. & Mrs. Leslie and one of the coolest dogs ever, Dewey. The food was outstanding and Ben and Mundo took care of us at the bar. There were many activities to do on the island such as snorkeling to a small coral reef, and paddle boarding as well as several excursions that the Leslie's were able to set up. The beach was a nice quiet place to just enjoy the views and read. We took the Island Crawl excursion which was guided by Tony who took us to 5 different islands including a Smithsonian research facility. We would like to thank the entire staff there for making us feel at home. We plan to see them all again in the near future. P.S. we would like give another shout out to Dewey!!!
We had a wonderful stay at Thatch Caye for our group. Great snorkeling, paddle boarding, amazing rooms and island. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The food and drinks are great. The views from the room are amazing. Everything is very safe and extremely comfortable. Overall our stay was amazing. We love bartender, Ben! He's the man!