The Roxbury Hotel & Spa
What We Love
- Daily continental breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate
- Direct access to Catskills Park and its 700,000 acres of New York State forest preserve and hiking trails
- No two rooms are the same, and the eccentric decor is playful
- Friendly owners help arrange almost anything
- Sauna, hot tub and massages at the sleek Shimmer Spa
What To Know
- The Roxbury first opened in 2004, with a second wing in 2007, a $2 million third wing in November 2010 and the Archaeologist’s Digs cottage adventure in 2013
- Cell phones don’t get great reception in this part of the Catskills
- The restaurant and cocktail lounge next door closes the kitchen at 10 p.m. but often the bar stays open later; they are closed Tuesday nights
- If you're looking for other restaurant options, it's best to ask the front desk for suggestions before venturing out on your own
- Location is remote, and GPS is often unreliable here; see How to Get There below or refer to the Roxbury's directions
The Roxbury, a hip, funky boutique hotel in the historic town it’s named after, is a throwback to the area’s midcentury glory days. Originally a basic roadside motel, the Roxbury was lovingly renovated by its new owners, Gregory Henderson and Joseph Massa, in 2003. They revamped the 11 rooms and added two multimillion-dollar wings to bring the total to 28 rooms and suites, plus a spa. The pair’s history hints at what to expect: They have backgrounds in theater and set design. Rather than give the motel a uniform look, they gave each room its own persona, such as “Genie’s Bottle” and the “The Wizard’s Emerald.” The decor is what you’d expect from the names: mirrors, sequins and chrome, but the result is fantastically fun. Flat-screen TVs hang on the walls (next to the deerhead if you’re in the “Noir Boudoir”), and a well-curated selection of wine and champagne is available for sale at the office if you’re in the mood to imbibe. Come morning, breakfast is self-serve, from homemade coffee cakes and muffins to fruit, yogurt, granola and more. Start your morning off at the communal dining table or on the firepit patio, which has fantastic views of the Catskill Mountains and the stream that runs through the inn’s backyard, and then book a massage at the Shimmer Spa or relax in the sauna or whirlpool.
In the Area
While the setting is certainly relaxing, there’s plenty to do and see in the area, from skiing and snowboarding in cold weather, to hiking, biking and horseback riding in spring, summer and fall, to visiting the nearby historic towns of Woodstock or Cooperstown anytime. If you’re in the mood for a picnic, stroll over to Kirkside Park, just down the road. Next door to the property you’ll find Public Lounge, a great place modern cuisine and signature cocktail, but the front desk can arrange a tasting menu at Peekamoose Restaurant (a 25-minute drive away), which is owned by award-winning chef, Devin Mills. And for some scenic Catskill views, the nearby Delaware and Ulster Railroad offers rides; some cars are open-air, so bundle up.
How to Get There
It is really amazing place, located in a beautiful and quiet place. We stayed in Gin lamp room. It was so beautiful ???? Cool decor, everything is so thoughtful. We had refrigerator, good wines in a room. The room was huge!!! It has 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, bath tub and shower. TV in every room!!!! In the bathroom too. Soaps, shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, everything was so perfect and special made!!! Breakfast was very good! Tea was good, just coffee I would prefer more strong. Not a lot of activities on the territory but the next day we just drive to the Kaatskill fall hike. Thank you for such unique hotel, looking forward to visit your new hotel.
This was our 10th trip to the Roxbury. And its gets better everytime. This was our first time in the Final Frontier. It was perfect. The motel is one of a kind with a great staff including Colleen and the owners Greg and Joe. The area is beautiful and so quite what a perfect getaway. We toook a quick look at their new hotel the down the road and that is going to be even better the the here. We love it here and can't wait till our next trip
Stayed here for a local wedding and loved the Roxbury! Such a fun vibe, extremely clean, provided great amenities. Outdoor space is beautiful. Staff was courteous and very attentive. Would definitely visit again!