Movich Hotel Cartagena de Indias
What We Love
- The rooftop pool, bar and restaurant have arguably the best views in the city
- Great location, just steps from the city’s most historic buildings
- Light-filled interiors defined by clean lines and design-forward touches
What To Know
- Swimming pool is better for soaking up the city views than lap training
- Located in the historic center, but that’s not reflected in either the building or the decor
- All the high-tech necessities: iPod docks, LCD TVs and free WiFi
- Free WiFi
- Room Service
Within the ancient walls of Cartagena’s old town, the Movich is a haven of contemporary design. Its 32 rooms are spacious, open-plan and light-filled, with blond wood furniture, neutral tones, tactile furnishings and, in a nod to its locale, rough-hewn coral stone walls. Splashes of color come in the form of striped cushions and giant prints of Colombia’s natural landscapes. On higher levels, the floor-to-ceiling windows frame sweeping views over the city’s tiled rooftops and church steeples — although nothing can eclipse the view from the roof terrace, where you can have breakfast, lunch or dinner under the stars. You can also opt for breakfast in your room or in the lobby restaurant, which in the evening serves local dishes with a modern fusion twist. After a hard day’s sightseeing, head to the rooftop pool to cool off, before watching the sun set, cocktail in hand, from a made-for-sharing daybed or the Jacuzzi.
In the Area
Wander the lovely cobbled streets of the old city, dropping in at ancient churches and brightly painted colonial houses turned chic boutiques, with balconies festooned in flowers. Head to the baluartes (city walls) or the hilltop fortress of Castillo San Felipe for spectacular sunset viewing, then sip rum at the historic El Coro, dine on sophisticated Italian fusion at Alma or creative tapas at Demente, and dance ’til dawn to sultry Latin rhythms at Cafe Havana. To escape the heat, set sail for the Rosario Islands, where you can snorkel the reefs and relax on a castaway’s spit of sand.
How to Get There
We just got back from our 6 night stay at the Movich. We had a great time in Cartagena and decided if we ever go back we would stay at the Movich Hotel again and here is why:
1) Location - We loved the location. It was centrally located and easy to find. We spent hours wandering the walled city and it was always easy to get back.
2) Rooftop Pool - I picked the hotel for the rooftop pool. It isn't huge (8 lounge chairs) but we really enjoyed it. It was never packed even though they do offer day passes for non-hotel guests. It gets busy up there every night before sunset but quiets back down about an hour later. The food and drinks are good not great. They could get people to stay longer with some different drink options.
3) Service - Everyone we encountered at the Movich were very nice. Victor at the front desk was our favorite. He helped recommend restaurants and bars and things to do. He was so nice and helpful. Wilson and Rafael were great too. Every time we walked in we were greeted by familiar faces which was really nice.
4) Our room was big and nice and comfortable.
TRAVELER TIP: We wanted to rent a boat to go to the Rosario's. Online they are pretty expensive. Victor helped arrange a private boat rental and it saved us a lot of money. Use the concierge at the hotel. They are helpful.
Not the first time we have been to the hotel, this time we took family and friends that had a great stay too. Staff is consistently friendly, breakfast is quite amazing, and the bedrooms were just recently renovated I understand. The location of the hotel and the view from the rooftop are definitely the winners.
The hotel is so beautiful, every detail is perfect, the location is good, but the best thing is the view from the rooftop, you can see the sea and the old town cathedrals. It makes it perfect for a romantic getaway.