Hotel Boutique Casa del Coliseo
What We Love
- The chic-with-a-twist decor, overseen by Colombian interior designer Juan Carlos Arcila-Duque
- The discreet rooftop pool, lit by night
- The property's intimate size, with just 12 guestrooms
- Balconies in some rooms overlook the city's lively streets, great for people watching
What To Know
- There's no restaurant on-site, though the hotel serves breakfast and can recommend nearby eateries; a local chef can also prepare a rooftop BBQ on request
- The hotel is housed in a historic former mansion; take note if stairs are a concern
- Windows are soundproofed, a plus for those who find the sound of the old town's horse-drawn carriages less than charming
- Members will be charged a 16 percent VAT tax by the property (exempt to foreigners of Colombia). To avoid this fee, be sure to provide documentation at check-in
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
Sophisticated urban adventurers will relish a stay at the Casa del Coliseo, a tricked-out boutique hotel in Cartagena’s old town. Its apartments and guestrooms feature pale linens and plush beds, and some have dramatic beam ceilings. There’s WiFi and cable TV, naturally, but nothing beats whiling away an hour on a flower-adorned balcony, taking in the sights and sounds of the colorful historic city. Guests can begin their day with breakfast just off the lobby followed by some laps in the rooftop pool before heading out to explore the edible and visual pleasures that abound just steps from the hotel.
In the Area
Cartagena is awash in stylish restaurants that draw a dressed-up, worldly crowd. The hotel recommends such foodie favorites as Andante Allegro Vivace and Club de Pesca, or cocktail dens like Frank & Frank. The walled old town, where the hotel is situated, is noted for its colonial sights, from the Palace of the Inquisition to the clock tower and cathedral. Spend a day taking in the colorful architecture or following in the footsteps of late literary legend Gabriel García Márquez, who set many of his novels in the city. Then get some sand between your toes and explore the lovely beaches on Isla Baru, an hour from the nearby port by boat.
How to Get There
Superb hotel. The building is beautiful and the location is right in the heart of the old town. We were warmly welcomed by all of the staff. Special mention to Martin - thank you for your wonderful recommendations and looking after us so kindly!
We had an amazing weekend stay here for our 10th anniversary. Highly recommended!
The staff and service was top-notch all around. Extremely attentive and helpful, at the level you find in a 5-Star property. From check in to check out, everything was great. They arranged for airport transfers, dining reservations, and even a very last minute in-room couples massage. Breakfast was great and the waitstaff was very professional.
I highly recommend booking a suite at this property on your next visit to Cartagena, we hope to be back soon!
The hotel has very nice and comfortable amenities and included is a good breakfast.
What I would like to highlight is the good service and friendliness of all the staff, always with a smile and willing to help and provide some recommendations.