Newstead Belmont Hills Golf Resort & Spa
What We Love
- The 6,100-yard 18-hole Belmont Hills Golf Course?
- Spacious suites with balconies or patios, granite-topped kitchens and oversize soaking tubs?
- Eastern-inspired body treatments at Newstead Spa & Salon
- Excellent French cuisine at onsite eatery Beau Rivage
- The sun-drenched infinity pool with views of Hamilton Harbor
What To Know
- The beach shuttle and pool bar are seasonal; available over the summer until the end of October
- Studio Deluxe Rooms don't have balconies
- Popular south shore beaches, like Southampton’s Horseshoe Bay, are a 15-20 minute taxi ride from the hotel?
- Newstead runs a free ferry to and from Hamilton weekdays from 7:20 to 11 a.m., and from 5:20 to 7:20 p.m.; on Saturdays it runs from 9:20 a.m. to 12:20 p.m.
- Free WiFi
- Golf Course
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
When you stay at Newstead Belmont Hills Golf Resort & Spa in Paget, you’ll be by the ocean and close to Albuoy’s Point Park and Horseshoe Bay. This 4-star hotel is within close proximity of Darrell’s Wharf and Hamilton Ferry Dock.
Make yourself at home in one of the 60 air-conditioned rooms featuring refrigerators and LCD televisions. Rooms have private balconies. Complimentary wired and wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and cable programming provides entertainment. Private bathrooms with shower/tub combinations feature jetted bathtubs and complimentary toiletries.
Pamper yourself with a visit to the spa, which offers massages, body treatments, and facials. After practicing your swing on the golf course, you can enjoy other recreational amenities including an outdoor pool and a spa tub. This hotel also features complimentary wireless Internet access, babysitting/childcare (surcharge), and gift shops/newsstands.
Grab a bite at one of the hotel’s 2 restaurants, or stay in and take advantage of room service (during limited hours). Relax with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge or a poolside bar. Full breakfasts are available daily for a fee.
Featured amenities include complimentary high-speed (wired) Internet access, complimentary newspapers in the lobby, and dry cleaning/laundry services. Planning an event in Paget? This hotel has facilities measuring 700 square feet (65 square meters), including meeting rooms. Free self parking is available onsite.
How to Get There
We stayed at Newstead last week with our 6 & 8 year old sons. This was my husband and my second stay there (we stayed in Sept 2008 for our honeymoon, a few months after it reopened). We were disappointed to see that the resort was starting to show its age (paint chips on the walls, rust around bathroom fixtures, patchwork on drywall not properly sanded/repainted, wooden floors creaky and spots needing repair, lightbulbs out in the room). It was very much unchanged in appearance from 10 yrs ago, just used-looking. One major change (for the worse), was that the wonderful concierge we had last time (Paula) was no longer working there, and instead she was replaced by several less friendly staff members. While the women working at the front desk were generally "polite," they were also curt and didn't go out of their way to make us feel special or welcome.
On check-in day we were told our room would be ready at 3pm, which is normal check-in time. After several trips back to the front desk, we ultimately got into our room at 4:45pm, which wasted the entire afternoon. The manager was not on duty that day (a Saturday), and Kelly at the front desk was less than helpful or pleasant about the inconvenience. Eventually I spoke with the manager, Camelia (sp?), on Tuesday, and she removed the charge for our beach bar lunch on check-in day and placed a fruit/cheese plate in our room fridge (upon my suggestion, not on her own, and not with any fanfare). To her credit she did take note of all of my suggestions and listen to my concerns.
Beau Rivage (the on-site more formal restaurant) was a pleasant experience and we had a good meal there. The French manager was lively and great with the kids.
The gym had limited equipment and didn't seem to be serviced often. There were no towels the first day I worked out, and the 2nd time I went there was one (and there were two of us working out at that time). New stretching/floor mats are in order- there was only one and it looked pretty rugged.
The pool bar staff was friendly and helpful, as were the doormen and men who ran the shuttle to and from the beach and Belmont Hills property. We also enjoyed chatting with Kyle, the gentleman who drove our resort-sponsored taxi to and from the airport. If you book through the hotel directly, airport transfers are included. Make sure you book this 48hr in advance.
Turn down service used to include chocolates on your pillow and housekeeping would put on the "fish channel," which was a neat TV station that showed an aquarium-like zen fish background with music. This time there were no treats at turn-down (and we only received turn down service on the second half of our weeklong stay, after I complained)... and there was no fish channel or substitute. I understand the cable service was changed and therefore that channel is no longer available.
The private resort ferry to and from Hamilton was a nice touch, though I wish it ran throughout the afternoon, not just in the morning and at night. We went to Hamilton late morning to shop and have lunch, and then would feel "stranded" there until the ferry resumed service that evening (instead we just paid for a taxi back to the hotel, which adds up).
I understand a 3 part renovation will be underway after this summer season and I hope that it brings the resort back to the grandeur we experienced 10 years ago. I wish the owners much luck and encourage them to retrain their front desk staff on customer service and sincerity.
Rooms are very nice and updated. Staff is very friendly and welcoming.
However, the property is rough around the edges. Gym equipment is rusting and hasn’t been maintained. The hotel seems to be short staffed. There were beer cans laying around the pool and common areas for 2 days after an event. Breakfast was routinely over crowded. Easy fixes, but need done.
The best thing about the hotel is the room size. It is huge and had a kitchen where we could prepare meals if necessary. I also liked the free shuttle to 2 restaurants in the area. Getting out of the area requires a taxi which we used 3 days of our trip. Water shuttle is convenient for going to Hamilton for dinner/shopping etc. and connecting to other ferrys. Overall wonderful experience! I would definitely stay at this hotel again.
Newstead Belmont is one of the newer hotels in Bermuda, and by virtue of that, one of the more modern facilities. The hotel is located just across from the city of Hamilton.
Newstead has a lot to offer and could be among the best on the island but it needs to correct some relatively minor deficiencies.
First, the strongpoints:
* The facilitates are clean and well maintained,
* The ferry to Hamilton is a huge plus. It reduces the need for cabs, bikes, or other rentals. The trip to Hamilton is very quick,
* Newstead has a couple good restaurants and a shuttle to additional restaurants. While the hotel does not have a beach, the shuttle stops at 2 beaches and a golf course.
* The suites are spacious, clean and well designed.
* The ferry has very limited hours, particularly on weekends. The schedule definitely needs to be expanded,
* The staff has some very friendly people but some are more businesslike than welcoming. Our housekeeper for the week was a wonderful, sweet lady.
* For such a classy resort, some amenities are curiously lacking. Writing pads were “out of stock”, there was no pen in the room, no shower gel. Although the room had a fully equipped kitchen, the only coffee offering was awful instant coffee. A pod type coffee maker could easily remedy this. The hotel provides quality robes in the rooms but the shower has no hook on which to hang it and no hooks for wet towels. The hotel espresso machine was broken during our stay and the lobby coffee is adequate at best.
*The restaurants onsite offered decent wine lists but lacking at the pool bar.
All in all we had a wonderful stay and would certainly consider this resort in the future.
We stayed here for one night when we first got to Bermuda. The rooms are huge and have a kitchen. Pool is smaller but beautiful. Staff at pool was not eager to help anyone. Restaurants on property were delicious. We took the ferry across the bay to Hamilton. Super easy. A round of golf was included in our room rate. You had to pay $35 for the cart. Course was okay. Overall very happy with the hotel.