Fairmont Heritage Place, Ghirardelli Square
What We Love
- Postcard bay views from the center of Ghirardelli Square
- Unique floor plans with gas fireplaces, kitchens and semiprivate outdoor terraces (in some)
- Comp amenities like 24-hour butler service, daily wine and cheese reception and a house car that services a two-mile radius
What To Know
- A 15.5 percent room tax per night will be collected at the Jetsetter checkout
- No on-site restaurant, spa, pool or bar
- Floors three and four have the best bay views
- Street noise, though not entirely obtrusive, can be disturbing for light sleepers on the lower levels
- Full non-refundable deposit will be taken at time of booking or seven days prior to booking (applicable from July 15 – Sept 15)
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Contemporary loftlike interiors blend exposed interior brick walls, steel staircases and cast iron–trimmed floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the bay, with abstract branch and tree sculptures, nature paintings and modern furnishings. Outside, stairwells lead to card-accessible guest entrances, and on to restaurants and chocolate and artisanal shops.
Bed and Bath
Named after Ghiradelli Square’s original cocoa, chocolate and mustard box factories, the 53 suites have intricate layouts. Bedrooms are calm quarters with smoky pine floors and tan carpets, Frette linens and signature Ghiradelli pillow chocolates provided at turndown. There are rainfall showers in the marble-and-stone bathrooms, and open-plan living rooms have gas fireplaces and hand-grooved maple floors that lead to kitchens equipped with refrigerators, wine coolers, built-in stovetops and dark wood tables that seat up to six.
At night, Ghirardelli’s 125-foot sign shines, along with the flickering Alcatraz lighthouse out in the bay. Catch the view on cooler afternoons with a glass of wine next to the firepit or beaneath a heated carillon on the checkerboard-speckled Mustard Terrace. As the morning fog rolls in, a buffet of pastries, fruit and yogurt, breakfast burritos, and fresh orange and grapefruit juice is served in a lounge on the first floor, where a 24-hour fitness center opened in summer 2012.
How to Get There
This is now our 2nd time staying at the Fairmont Heritage Place at Ghirardelli Square. It’s our family’s absolute favorite place to stay in San Francisco! The amenities, the awesome views, the location, continental breakfast, evening wine tasting, and all you want chocolate treats can’t be beat! This time we allowed our 2 teens to each bring a friend and our 3 bed, 3 bath accommodated our group of 6, just as easy as our original family of 4. Our teens & friends were able to sightsee safely on their own because of our great location and we love reserving the bicycles to tour around the city too. This year we watched the 4th of July fireworks from the 2nd floor balcony while sipping on hot chocolate.
This was my second visit to this Fairmont in San Francisco and I enjoyed it just as much as my first time. The hotel is in a great location and is walkable to many places. The suite was really big and very clean. This place is good for families or groups of friends because the units are so spacious and you can cook a meal in the well-stocked kitchen. If you can get a bay view room, your view is really amazing! I found the staff to be helpful and they gave good recommendations for things to do and restaurants to try. I had the breakfast each morning and appreciated the fresh fruit and hard-boiled eggs although the pastries could have been a bit fresher. There is a water bottle filling machine near the lobby which is nice for filling your bottle before heading out to go sightseeing. We would definitely stay here again!
Our stay here at the Fairmont was short but sweet but everything was just PERFECT!
Here are some reasons why you should stay at the Fairmont Heritage:
1. GREAT LOCATION - As an in house guest you get easy access to the Ghirardeli square. They have a back door which is accesible just by using your room key! As soon as you exit you are right smack in the middle of the square giving you access to the delicious Ghirardelli Chocolate shop!
2. HOUSE CAR - This service was VERY useful to us. As a family of 5, this service allowed us to go anywhere we want within a 2 mile radius of the Hotel! They have a very spacious expedition that is just PERFECT for us.
3. HEALTHY BREAKFAST - The breakfast spread is just PERFECT. They give you a variety of pastries, breads, fresh fruits, oatmeal, cereals and of course you cannot start your day without a good cup of coffee which they also serve during breakfast. It’s the perfect breakfast spread to start your day.
4. HUGE ROOMS- We are a family of 5 and we got the 2 bedroom residence ( Room 116) which was just PERFECT for us. We had a huge kitchen, living room, 2 huge bedrooms with their own toilets and bath tubs! You have a washer and dryer that is super duper easy to use.
We also have our own private veranda with the view of Ghirardelli Square! Just perfect!
5. AWESOME STAFF- I just want to commend a few people that made our stay extra extra special. I never really got all their names but each and everyone made sure that our needs were met. From the doorman, to the front desk, to the housekeeping.
But I want to make a special shout out to Daniel of the front desk. You see Fairmont offers free wine and cheese every 5-6pm everyday! And for some reason we were never at the hotel at this time. So we asked Daniel if we could maybe try some of the wine they serve.. and he gave us not just one but 3 glasses and a little more *wink wink* that’s what you call customer service! So kudos to you Daniel!
The few days we spend here was a very memorable one and we will definitely come back again :) it’s a good start to our vacation ( flying all the way from the Philippines) it was just perfect!
*sorry I was not able to take much pictures :)
We chose this property because it accommodated our family of five, and because we’ve had great experiences at other Fairmont properties. We again were very impressed by both the friendly and attentive staff and the property itself. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone planning a trip to SF.
The Fairmont Ghirardelli is amazing. The accommodations are top notch, the staff is eager to please, and the location can’t be beat. With views of the bay, a short walk to Fisherman’s Warf, and sitting atop Ghirardelli Square, this place is now the only place I want to stay in San Francisco.