Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
What We Love
- The coolest spa in downtown San Diego, Nature’s Spa by Jurlique features treatment rooms with private steamrooms, Jacuzzis and their signature Moroccan Rasul treatment
- The art-themed hotel frequently runs events and specials in conjunction with the San Diego of Contemporary Art and The San Diego Symphony
- Located in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, with local eateries, clubs and bars right at the doorstep
- Unusually quiet soundproof windows keeps much of the trolley, traffic and party noise where it belongs: outside
What To Know
- The hotel was renamed the Palomar San Diego in June 2011
- The swank fourth-floor pool deck is popular for weddings and shindigs. Great if you’re invited, not ideal if you’re hoping to enjoy a little urban oasis
- There’s no office desk in the loft rooms, but work can be done on the kitchen table
- You can book the services of a private chef for your flat through the hotel
- The patios currently look a bit bare, but the hotel has outdoor furniture slated for delivery by the end of the year
- The valet’s text-based car retrieval system is super fast and simple to use, but it’ll cost you—parking costs a cool $36 a day
- WiFi costs $10 per day
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
With a stay at Palomar San Diego, a Kimpton Hotel, you’ll be centrally located in San Diego, walking distance from Westfield Horton Plaza and close to Petco Park. This 4.5-star hotel is within close proximity of San Diego Convention Center and Balboa Park.
Make yourself at home in one of the 211 air-conditioned rooms featuring MP3 docking stations and LCD televisions. Your pillowtop bed comes with down comforters and Frette Italian sheets. Digital programming provides entertainment, and wired and wireless Internet access is available for a surcharge. Private bathrooms with shower/tub combinations feature designer toiletries and hair dryers.
Relax at the full-service spa, where you can enjoy massages, body treatments, and facials. You can take advantage of recreational amenities such as an outdoor pool and a 24-hour fitness center. Additional amenities at this Art Deco hotel include wireless Internet access (surcharge), concierge services, and wedding services.
Enjoy a meal at a restaurant, or stay in and take advantage of the hotel’s room service (during limited hours). Mingle with other guests at a complimentary reception, held daily. Relax with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge or a poolside bar.
Featured amenities include high-speed (wired) Internet access (surcharge), a 24-hour business center, and express check-in. Planning an event in San Diego? This hotel has 21884 square feet (2033 square meters) of space consisting of conference space and meeting rooms.
How to Get There
Full disclosure, Kimpton is our favorite brand hotel in the US! We have stayed in several around the country and find these small, boutique hotels really specialize in the personal touch. The Palomar is no exception. From the warm greeting at the valet, to the kindness and helpfulness of Paige at the front desk, we knew we were in for another wonderful experience. Paige asked if we would like a coffee or tea maker for our room, we said yes! She explained the amenities of the hotel including dining options, pool and fitness center, hours, free coffee and wine downstairs and even offered a coupon for our dinner place.
Upon arrival in our room, we received two welcome texts from both Paige and Anna at the front desk and within 5 minutes, a Keurig coffee maker along with a good assortment of coffees was delivered!
Our room was large and comfortable. Plenty of room to hang our clothes and fill the drawers. Cozy, upscale robes, not your typical terry cloth! The towels were fluffy and absorbent. The shower gel, shampoo and conditioner are in large, refillable pumps and smell amazing. There were plenty of hand towels and wash rags. A well stocked mini bar (including snacks, wine and a “lover’s kit” -condoms, etc.) along with water, wine and wine glasses are all available for an additional cost. The room had a good size flat-screen TV, an iHome clock radio with Bluetooth and cordless phones.
The bed was exceptionally comfortable and pillows both firm and soft were on each side of the bed. The sheets were high quality and the comforter made it cozy with the AC on!
The only tiny problem wasn’t really a problem but the drain the in the bathroom was very slow causing the sink to fill rather quickly and the fan didn’t work. We reported both to the front desk upon departure and were thanked and assured they will be fixed.
We were able to text for our valet parked car and given directions on how to get to the freeway.
With San Diego a frequent getaway destination for us, the Kimpton will always be our go-to hotel. Thank you for a lovely stay.
This is one of my favorite hotels. The lobby entrance with its giant front door is so dramatic, and the nightclub lighting so glamorous. My room with the balcony was a welcome respite from a busy week of conference activities. Everyone was so attentive and gracious, it was a delight to return and I look forward to my next visit.
This place is awesome, went for an art show at house of blues which is on the same block. They do a social hour with free wine and beer. Had a lot of fun. Bellman Paul was super nice and gave me and my sister great downtown locations to visit.