Kimpton Hotel Palomar San Diego
What We Love
- The coolest spa in downtown San Diego, Nature’s Spa by Jurlique features treatment rooms with private steamrooms, Jacuzzis and their signature Moroccan Rasul treatment
- The art-themed hotel frequently runs events and specials in conjunction with the San Diego of Contemporary Art and The San Diego Symphony
- Located in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, with local eateries, clubs and bars right at the doorstep
- Unusually quiet soundproof windows keeps much of the trolley, traffic and party noise where it belongs: outside
What To Know
- The hotel was renamed the Palomar San Diego in June 2011
- The swank fourth-floor pool deck is popular for weddings and shindigs. Great if you’re invited, not ideal if you’re hoping to enjoy a little urban oasis
- There’s no office desk in the loft rooms, but work can be done on the kitchen table
- You can book the services of a private chef for your flat through the hotel
- The patios currently look a bit bare, but the hotel has outdoor furniture slated for delivery by the end of the year
- The valet’s text-based car retrieval system is super fast and simple to use, but it’ll cost you—parking costs a cool $36 a day
- WiFi costs $10 per day
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
With a stay at Palomar San Diego, a Kimpton Hotel, you’ll be centrally located in San Diego, walking distance from Westfield Horton Plaza and close to Petco Park. This 4.5-star hotel is within close proximity of San Diego Convention Center and Balboa Park.
Make yourself at home in one of the 211 air-conditioned rooms featuring MP3 docking stations and LCD televisions. Your pillowtop bed comes with down comforters and Frette Italian sheets. Digital programming provides entertainment, and wired and wireless Internet access is available for a surcharge. Private bathrooms with shower/tub combinations feature designer toiletries and hair dryers.
Relax at the full-service spa, where you can enjoy massages, body treatments, and facials. You can take advantage of recreational amenities such as an outdoor pool and a 24-hour fitness center. Additional amenities at this Art Deco hotel include wireless Internet access (surcharge), concierge services, and wedding services.
Enjoy a meal at a restaurant, or stay in and take advantage of the hotel’s room service (during limited hours). Mingle with other guests at a complimentary reception, held daily. Relax with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge or a poolside bar.
Featured amenities include high-speed (wired) Internet access (surcharge), a 24-hour business center, and express check-in. Planning an event in San Diego? This hotel has 21884 square feet (2033 square meters) of space consisting of conference space and meeting rooms.
How to Get There
My organization held a 3-day meeting in San Diego and fortunately, our event planner chose the Kimpton Palomar. During my time there, an attendee of our conference passed out and I witnessed staff member, Terra, dive to save her. She stayed with our guest until the emergency vehicle arrived, blood and all. (For the record, the fall was no fault of the hotels.)
Secondly, a torrential downpour flooded out, leaving the Kimpton Palomar with an unexpected group of 200+ attendees on a Thursday evening. Together, Faws and Sara put together everything our guests needed for a night to unwind. (Special thanks to the accountant, Jamie, who stayed on to help out when she could clearly see her team was in need.) Additionally, I'd like to thank the bartenders on staff who kept their cool on a very unexpectedly extremely busy evening.
I'm forever thankful for their ability to take control of an unexpected situation and go ABOVE AND BEYOND for our guests. Everyone raved about the experience.
Great rooms, exceptional staff, great location for restaurants and shopping. The whole experience was great. Nicest hotel we have stayed at ever. San Diego is a beautiful city. The restaurant and bar at the hotel had great food and great drinks.
had a pleasant stay. Everything was wonderful but we had some bedding issues which i addressed with the hotel. I am sure it was a unusual, one time incident. Overall would recommend that hotel to SanDiego travelers
In town to see family and the Palomar was exactly what we needed. Brandon and Fawz at the front desk were both friendly and accommodating. Martha in housekeeping left us personalized notes and provided excellent service. We enjoyed morning coffee in the lobby and coming back to wine hour in the evening. We will be back!
We were in San Diego for a concert at the House of Blues downtown. Hotel Palomar is the perfect hotel for concerts at House of Blues and an excellent choice if you just want to be right downtown San Diego.
From the moment we pulled up to Valet the service could not have been better. They took the car and we went to check in. Without asking we had our room upgraded if we wanted to wait about an hour, it was fine with us, we went to the restaurant in the hotel and had a snack.
Our room was very comfortable, the bed was comfortable, the bathroom a nice size and we were grateful for the upgrade as we had a balcony which gave us some fresh air into the room. The rooms are sparkling clean.
Each evening is a wine hour in the lobby and every morning guests will find coffee and tea in the lobby.
The staff is welcoming, friendly and they go out of their way to make sure every guest has an exceptional stay.
Valet parking is $49, which seems high, but is in the price range as other downtown hotels. It does allow you in and out privileges.