What We Love
- Free Beach Breakfast Buffet served daily from 6:30-10am
- Enjoy the ocean breeze in the nearly pool-size whirlpool at the rooftop Skydeck
- The lobby doubles as Zinc Lounge, a nighttime hot spot complete with DJ and trendy cocktails
- In-room chromatherapy lighting color menu is a real mood-setter during a romantic stay
What To Know
- A DJ in the lobby means you might have to shout at the checkout clerk if you arrive during party hours
- Shade is not beachfront — the surf and sand are a very convenient two-minute walk away
- Common areas can potentially be booked several hours at a time for private events. Check ahead
- Valet is $25 per day or there's self-parking at meters in subterranean parking structure
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Kids Club
- Parking On Site
The Shade feels like a mod reimagining of the promenade deck on a glitzy cruise liner of yesteryear. The lobby’s buffed-to-a-shine cherrywood floors are lined with cushy sofas and cocktail tables perfect for a leisurely meal or round of drinks. Designed by Christopher Lowell, of Discovery Home Channel fame, the public spaces offer clean lines, lots of natural light and a balance of architectural elements that include glass, wood and stone. On most days, floor-to-ceiling door panels are opened up so the lobby space expands out onto a dining patio that’s accented with breezy, seafoam-green drapes billowing from the second story on down to the sun dappled floor.
Bed and Bath
An open floor plan lets the centerpiece of the room shine: a two-person Sanijet Jacuzzi tub with a granite ledge that’s perfect for keeping your champagne close enough to offset the bubbling warmth. For a bit of bathroom privacy, wood and smoked-glass doors slide easily to partition it off from the Tempurpedic bed and the unique cyclone fireplace. In-room amenities including a Keurig Vue coffee machine, turn-down cake pops from a local bakery and a lighting color menu stand as luxurious finishing touches.
The lobby bar triples up as a scrumptious eatery. In the mornings you’ll find a light breakfast spread to start the day right with bagels and lox, hard-boiled eggs, juice, coffee and pastries. Stick around for lunch and dinner and enjoy a healthy menu recently redesigned by The Biggest Loser chef Devin Alexander. After that you can either bask on the rooftop patio or work off the calories exploring the area on one of the hotel’s free beach cruisers. The beach boardwalk is a short spin away and you can pedal down as far as Redondo Beach or up even to Venice if you’ve got the stamina.
How to Get There
This hotel has a great location (2 blocks from the beach) and is close to wonderful restaurants. We walked everywhere and loved every minute. The hotel is extremely comfortable and the staff was very welcoming.
Had a wonderful breakfast there this week . Great indoor and outdoor seating. Friendly service . Just a few blocks from the beach- eggs, bagels, lox, pastries and cereals, yogurt and more. Buffet or regular menu . The hotel is also a wonderful place to stay but you don’t need to stay to enjoy the restaurant.
Stayed at this hotel for four nights. The room was excellent and well appointed. There was a problem with the bell but all credit to Chelsea who helped sort it out as soon as she could. Very friendly staff and pretty decent breakfast. Overall, a very enjoyable stay.