1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
What We Love
- Quiet location but just a block from the main street, Orange Avenue, and close to Coronado Beach and Hotel del Coronado
- All 17 guestrooms are individually designed
- Colorful cruiser bikes for exploring the island
What To Know
- There’s a free (and tasty) homemade breakfast and afternoon refreshment service daily, but no bar or restaurant
- WiFi, breakfast and parking are included in the rate
- Check-in is between 3 pm and 8.30 pm; arrival after 8.30 pm needs to be arranged in advance
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
Dating from 1906, this petite B&B on Coronado Island has a traditional style but all the mod cons. The 17 guestrooms are individually designed with homey accents from the patterned throw pillows and fabric-shade table lamps to the dark wood dressers and framed photographs of local landmarks. Amenities vary from room to room, with gas fireplaces and deep soaking tubs in some, and private patios and wet bars in others, but all have private tile bathrooms with over-tub or standalone showers. Continental breakfast is served in the Arts and Crafts–style dining room each morning, with homemade specialties like carrot cake pancakes and baked eggs Florentine, plus cereals, toast and fruit. Snacks and soft drinks are served daily at 5 p.m. There’s no gym but guests receive a discount at the Gym in Coronado just across the street, or have access to the inn’s colorful cruiser bicycles for exploring the island.
In the Area
Just across the bay from San Diego, Coronado Island is a destination for beach time, surfing and watersports. Just two blocks from the inn, Glorietta Bay is set up with sail and powerboat rentals, and there’s a paved boardwalk for long strolls, which are especially romantic at sunset. Don’t miss a visit to the storied, 150-year-old Hotel del Coronado (ask about the $15, 75-minute tour) or borrow a bicycle and explore the island’s 15 miles of bike paths. Many of the island’s best restaurants are within a few blocks of the inn, so ask for a recommendation, or take your pick from the many eateries along Orange Avenue.
How to Get There
The innkeepers were very pleasant and welcoming. The rooms were clean and the bed was so comfortable. Great place if you’re looking for peace and quiet at the end of your day. Loaner bikes available as well as golf carts for a fee. The breakfast is great too, just wish they served better coffee. Parking is free which is a plus! Short walk to restaurants, beach and Hotel Coronado. Beautiful architecture and grounds. Highly recommend.
The room was great. Most everything was comfortable and very clean. There was a small problem with the wi-fi. It didn’t work all the time and when it did work it was slow. There was also a problem with the bill and we were over charged for our stay.
Stayed here for three nights in the Silver Strand room. This was our second stay at a Four Sisters property.
- Room was well maintained and super clean, and didn't have an over-abundance of air freshener.
- Property is quiet and sleep quality is excellent.
- Sitting on the rear patio near the fountain enjoying breakfast was super relaxing and nice.
- Location and walking score to downtown Coronado's restaurants and shops are excellent. We can recommend Brigantine (casual surf&turf) which is just around the corner. We also ate at the Del Coronado's Sheerwater restaurant - perfect food in a gorgeous location with impeccable service. Pricy though (6 raw oysters at Brigantine are $13.50; they're $22 at Sheerwater).
- The beaches within walking distance of the hotel are large, clean, and good for playing or swimming in the sea.
- The staffers who helped out around breakfast were very kind and helpful. The housekeeping staff was super nice to us too.
- The big tub is very nice.
- Be aware that the location of this hotel is..... interesting. While it's technically true that the hotel is only "two blocks from the beach", those are two very long blocks - about a third of a mile if you walk to the right of the Del Coronado, or about two thirds of a mile if you walk to the left of it. If you are coming here to go to the beach there are closer options.
- Breakfast was fine, nothing special. Selection was rather limited every day but the day-to-day variety was good. There were non-carb options like egg fritatta, turkey sausage, scrambled or hard boiled eggs, and there was always fresh decaf on hand. That said, on Saturday morning (only) instead of ceramic plates and coffee mugs and real silverware, all they had was plastic. Look: I get how whiny and first-world-problemish this sounds when I complain about a plastic plate and a wobbly-bendy plastic fork and knife. But plastic plates and silverware have no place in a $400/night hotel and are bad for the planet.
- The furniture layout in this room is weird. There are two chairs and one of them faces the mini-bar/fridge in the corner. The TV is not positioned for watching from bed. Extra quirky is the fact that the see-through fireplace will allow someone in the main room to peer through at someone who's sitting on the toilet :-O
- Check-in was not particularly warm, possibly because we arrived at 9:30pm. Everyone else at the front desk was nice enough.
- The room was too hot. We set the thermostat to 69 the first night, but the room never really cooled off so we had trouble sleeping. The second night we turned it to 67 - no change. The 3rd night we set it to 64 and there still was no change in room temperature. So we had trouble sleeping because of the heat every night. Also....
- I know the duvet cover wasn't cotton - it felt like polyester, but maybe it was tencel or bamboo. Either way, it held way too much heat for summer sleeping in an upstairs room. The sheets themselves were high thread count but I don't *think* they were 100% cotton either. It was hard to tell because it was too hot to sleep comfortably for other reasons (see above).
- There was only one hanger in our closet at check-in - I had to go downstairs, use an intercom, and ask someone for more hangers (I know, I know, another whiny first-world problem - next I'll be shouting at kids to get off my lawn.... but one hanger....?). The person who brought the hangers seemed a little peeved, probably because it was getting close to 10pm.
The next time we come to Coronado we'll try a stay at the Del so that we're directly on the beach, but I'd consider returning to 1906 Lodge. I'd ask for a different room, though. Overall, with Four Sisters, it seems you know you're going to get an immaculate room and a generally positive experience, with some annoyances. It's just that once you're spending $400 per night expectations do go up and not all are met here.
Cannot say enough good things about 1906 Lodge. What an amazing stay-thank you to all the innkeepers for making our stay so warm and comfortable. The grounds are peaceful and beautiful, the innkeepers are all wonderful and the location is PERFECT. Our family staying at The Del was so impressed with 1906 Lodge they are planning their next stay at the lodge!
They accommodated the 3 of us and even held our bags after we checked out so we could enjoy our day until our flight. We will definitely be back!
The stay at the 1906 Lodge was just heavenly. We were greeted by Brenda, who was absolutely the most welcoming lady on your staff. Everyone there was also friendly.
The rooms were cozy and inviting. The bed was comfortable, piled with fluffy pillows that made falling asleep very easy. A large bathtub waited to be filled for an evening soak, while a shower built for two was also located in the bathroom. Warm robes hung up just in reach. Nice touch!
Breakfast was very tasty. Coffee is brewed to perfection. They served up many different options. Not to mention, the afternoon wine hour. The choices paired well with the wine being served. To top it all off, there are cookies or leftover muffins all day, along with tea.
The property is beautiful! They have chairs and towels for the beach. Bikes to take a ride around town. Plus, it’s located close to the beach, shops, restaurants, bars and galleries. Fun town with delectable cuisine. We are looking forward to visiting again. Thank you for the lovely vacation.