Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
What We Love
- You'll be a short drive from world class greens and a walk from several state beaches
- The 5,600-square-foot spa offers full body treatments with organic products
- Full resort services include beach gear rentals, WiFi access, free shuttle, discounted spa treatments and more
What To Know
- A daily $15 resort fee will be collected at checkout on Jetsetter
- You can rent beach towels, chairs and umbrellas for a daily fee
- The decor is a modern take on Cali Craftsman style
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
Unbeatable ocean views and family-friendly amenities abound at this beachfront stay 30 minutes north of San Diego. Camp out with your clan in the expansive suites, which feature such family-friendly comforts as pullout sofas, wet bars and dining tables for six, plus outdoor balconies with unbeatable ocean views. What guestrooms may lack in inspiring decor they make up for in mod cons, including 42-inch flat-screen TVs, mini-fridges and microwave ovens. Foodies can slake their craving for New American cuisine at the award-winning Chandler’s, where specialties include the freshly caught seafood pappardelle and an air-dried ribeye steak with parmesan-truffle fries. After making your rounds at the region’s world class golf courses, you can find your center of gravity at the 25,000-square-foot spa, which offers full body treatments and rituals like the Deep Sea organic bio-scrub and sea algae massage. Sun worshipers can laze by the freeform oceanfront pool or chill out on the sand at the nearby state beach.
In the Area
An affluent enclave about 30 minutes north of San Diego, Carlsbad offers a semi-arid Mediterranean climate that lends itself to golfing year-round. Enjoy 400 acres of coastal terrain among the 18 holes at the Crossings Golf Course, or go for the deep canyons, majestic bluffs and scenic ocean views at Torrey Pines. Follow your game with a stroll along eight miles of trail at the Torrey Pines State Reserve, a 2,000-acre oasis of native pine groves, unspoiled beaches and a lagoon frequented by migrating seabirds. Rest your legs at Carlsbad Village, a one-stop destination of shops, eateries and a buzz-worthy farmers market on Wednesdays. Take a daytrip with the family to the San Diego Zoo, which features many koalas that have made their way to the Golden State for the zoo’s newest exhibit, Koalafornia Dreamin’. Or stack your stay with a side trip to Legoland, Balboa Park or the San Diego waterfront.
How to Get There
The hotel is nice, the rooms are clean and well taken care of. The staff was very nice and helpful. It's across the road from beach access as well. These are all good things. However, take note of the following:
1. They have a self parking fee of $24 a day as well as a resort charge of $25 a day. This is clearly stated when booking, but it adds up. Many of the Hilton brands offer free breakfast, and with the resort charge, you would think this one does too, but it does not. As a matter of fact, if you look at their breakfast pricing, it starts at around $17 and goes up from there. I realize they offer shuttle, beach service, etc with their $25 daily resort fee, but for my family who didn't use any of these items, it wasn't helpful.
2. The beach access across the road is also a camping area, where RV's, tents and others are staying overnight. There is a beach, but it's rocky. There are nicer beaches a few miles to the north and to the south, so they aren't a long drive away.
3. On top of this, when my credit card charges settled, they had double billed me for the stay. I called to ask them about it, and they said that one is a hold that will drop off after a day or two. I actually had a 3rd charge as a hold, that did drop off already as pending, but these two identical charges for the actual amount are no longer pending, but actual charges. I'm sure they will take care of it, but it's just another item of inconvenience.
Bottom line, I think for me and my family, while the hotel was nice, it wasn't really a good value for us.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Cape Rey Carlsbad Hotel. In fact, our family cannot speak highly enough about it! Upon checking in, we were greeted by a very nice gentleman at the front desk, “Darren,” who could not of been more polite, professional and personable. From that point forward, Darren’s manners exemplified that of the entire hotel staff. General Manager Thomas Lee obviously does a great job managing the property. The hotel also has an amazing complimentary “Beach Butler” service which is fantastic! For the finalist in RFB (room, food and beverage) - along with clean rooms, pools, jacuzzi and great views - you cannot beat the Hilton Cape Rey. If we could give it 20 stars, we would! /s/ The Garr Family.
I picked this resort based off of the comments people left. I didn't know the area very well and am always nervous finding a CLEAN hotel in cali. I am so glad we went with this one! This resort did NOT disappoint!! Loved everything!! The location, clean rooms, pool, staff, it was all perfect! Felt safe & comfortable in this part of town with my kids. Highly recommend!