Beach Terrace Inn
What We Love
- Free beach chairs, towels, umbrellas and boogie boards
- Daily continental breakfast in the indoor/outdoor Ocean Lounge is included in the Jetsetter rate
- Family-owned since the 1960s, this 48-room hotel is full of personality and has a laid-back, homey vibe, plus knockout ocean views and direct beach access
- Ocean-facing rooms are enormous — between 550 and 700 square feet — and many have private outdoor space
What To Know
- Popular with families, so expect to share the pool with the junior jet set
- Courtyard Rooms are the smallest option, at 350 square feet, but they share a communal front porch area
- Lots of stairs between the hotel buildings, to the guestrooms and down to the beach, though staff is on hand to help with luggage, and there’s an elevator in the Pool Terrace Building
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Parking On Site
As close to the sand as it gets in trendy Carlsbad, the Beach Terrace Inn has been a family-owned fixture on the beach since the 1960s. With just 48 guestrooms in three ocean-facing buildings, it’s a true boutique hotel in an area dominated by sprawling, big brand options. Beachside Rooms are worth the splurge for the space to spread out (all are 550 square feet and up) and knockout sunset views, but even the smaller Courtyard Rooms have a beachy vibe thanks to hurricane blinds, ocean-inspired artworks and a simple cream palette, not to mention the soundtrack of crashing waves outside. All have thoughtful home comforts such as eco-friendly bath amenities, free bottled water, wet bars, mini-fridges, coffeemakers and walk-in glass showers. Best of all, a clever staggered building layout means that almost 80 percent of the rooms have unobstructed views of the beach and ocean. There’s no restaurant, but a free continental breakfast is served in the beachfront Ocean Lounge between 7 and 11 a.m. daily. Guests also have access to a heated swimming pool and a private, direct walkway down to the wide swath of sand.
In the Area
An affluent enclave about 30 minutes north of San Diego, Carlsbad has a semi-arid Mediterranean climate that lends itself to golfing year-round. Enjoy 400 acres of coastal terrain among the 18 holes at the Crossings Golf Course, or go for the deep canyons, majestic bluffs and scenic ocean views at Torrey Pines. Follow your game with a stroll along eight miles of trail at Torrey Pines State Reserve, a 2,000-acre oasis of native pine groves, unspoiled beaches and a lagoon frequented by migrating seabirds. Rest your legs at Carlsbad Village, a one-stop destination of shops, eateries and a buzz-worthy farmers market on Wednesdays. Take a day trip with the family to the San Diego Zoo, which features many koalas that have made their way to the Golden State for the zoo’s Koalafornia Dreamin’ exhibit. Or stack your stay with a side trip to Legoland, Balboa Park or the San Diego waterfront.
How to Get There
This was a great experience all around. The staff was kind and helpful, and the beach access was phenomenal. The breakfast was outstanding. My wife and I had zero complaints with our stay. The staff even gave us some tips of local hot spots to visit while we were in the area.
Conveniently located in Carlsbad to shops and dining. Great views and beach access. Pool and tub onsite. Room was spacious. Staff was friendly and rooms were clean. Good place good people good food all good.
Great location and very friendly staff. Get a room with an ocean view and walk the beach at sunset.
Breakfast buffet was well done and included gluten free options.. Good dinner restaurants within a short walking distance.