What We Love
- A luxury boutique hotel housed in a historic building in central Brussels, with breakfastThe stylish and sophisticated interiors of this boutique Design Hotel
- Staying in an ideal location, right behind the famous theater and opera house, Le Monnaie
- Rubbing shoulders with the Brussel’s in-crowd, sipping expertly mixed cocktails in Lounge Bar
Situated within a five-minute stroll of the Grand Place, The Dominican offers style-seekers a welcome retreat from the bustle of the European Union’s capital city. This four-star boutique hotel stands on the site of a 15th-century abbey, just minutes from the famous Théâtre de la Monnaie. A member of Design Hotels™, it has famous dutch duo Bart Lens and FG stijl to thank for its architecturally stunning archways, while rooms ooze style and character in equal measure.
Outside, things are just as nice. Head to the 19th-century, glass-roofed St. Hubert Galleries to shop for labels, or pick a prime people-watching spot in a nearby café or bar. If you’ll be back in time for dinner, reserve a table at Grand Lounge, for a fine-dining experience overlooking the serene courtyard, while cocktails served beneath sky-high ceilings attract an in-the-know crowd to Lounge Bar. There’s a cardio gym and spa as well as a boxing room, to help you work off any overindulgence, and a Finnish sauna and steam room to rid your system of any remaining toxins.
How to Get There
The Dominican is a lovely property... but it unfortunately lacks some of the necessary basics to make it a comfortable stay.
I am a huge fan of SPG- (and now Marriott- ) related properties, and The Dominican ticks most of the boxes... thoughtful design, careful curation of services, and great location.
Unfortunately, though, some elements of the building’s renovated fabric are untenable:
- the thermostat, even when turned off, continued to blast heat... in freezing temperatures, we comfortably slept with the windows open
- the shower temperature would continuously fluctuate from hot to cold every few minutes
- the tiled shower floor was incredibly slippery when wet, and without any grip spots or option for a floor mat, unfortunately resulted in a nasty cut when frantically grabbing the sharp corner of the towel bar
I’ll share the same with the GM because the property and staff deserve better, but thought it was worthwhile for others to be aware as well.
Me friend and I stayed here for a weekend away and were very disappointed. I’m surprised by all the positive reviews. The hotel is fine, but nothing special. The service is terribly slow - at the bar for drinks, for breakfast and for dinner - and the front desk staff was not especially helpful (they also tried to charge us an additional €300 for our dinner because someone else’s receipt (that I didn’t sign) was attached to our receipt). The room was stifling and crazy dry even with the window open. The shower leaked all over the bathroom floor. The gym was super hot (next to the sauna and steam room areas) with very dated equipment. The rooms were very small, but the beds were comfortable enough. Overall, not what I expect from a Design hotel and would not stay again.
We really enjoyed the service, room and atmosphere. The smells and ambiance of the room as you first enter is really memorable. It was one of the nicest hotel experiences we've had - and the location was great!
Perfect location and great decor and ambience but more- welcoming staff from front desk , food as beverages and management . Breakfast of good quality and nice bar to relax after work.
Recommended , highly,
What a great place to stay; came here for the 4th time and it surpises me every time. Loved the ambiance, service, food, cocktailbar and room! Even the gym was special. I do look forward to go again...!