What We Love
- Daily breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate
- Free shuttle service anywhere in Seminyak
- On-call butler available 24/7
- In the heart of Seminyak but completely private
What To Know
- Getting to the beach requires a 30-minute walk or a short shuttle ride
- There’s no restaurant, spa or gym, because all services are provided in-villa
- WiFi is free
- Free WiFi
- Room Service
Crammed full of galleries, boutiques and restaurants, Seminyak, on Bali’s west coast, has a couture beach scene that attracts glamorous globetrotters who come to eat, party and lounge. In the middle of it all, Kanishka’s 25-villa Zen retreat offers a secluded sanctuary where cool private plunge pools quench sun-kissed skin behind walls tall enough to keep the neighbors out of sight. White stone carvings inspired by Angkor Wat lead to fortress-like dark wood doors behind which traditional Balinese decor melds with modern accents conceived by designer Yani Hadisuwarno. It may seem strange that there are no common areas, but once cocooned in a spacious villa on a sun-drenched private deck, you won’t want to encounter any other guests.
Bed and Bath
The villas have private plunge pools (or Jacuzzis) with wooden decks and oversize wicker loungers. Expansive indoor-outdoor marble-floored living rooms and kitchens give way to air-conditioned bedrooms where billowing canopy beds outfitted in soft white and earth-toned linens form the centerpiece. There are almost too many mood lighting options: Buddha lamps mount dark wood surfaces, and track lights highlight Persian rugs and Balinese drawings. The bathrooms are tiled floor to ceiling with steel-gray Balinese river stone and feature deep Jacuzzi tubs. There’s also a light-filled bamboo garden.
Kanishka is the type of place where everything comes to you. The magic words for getting what you want, whether it be a private yoga session or the nearly five-hour royal spa indulgence package, are “just press zero.” Standard American and Indonesian fare (pizza, fried rice) make up the room service menu. The crown jewel is the poolside barbecue, where an impressive selection of grilled meats is served with a slew of side dishes and finished off with chocolate mousse cake.
In the Area
If you’ve exhausted the hotel’s on-site treatments, the Maharaja-size Prana Spa is just up the road, offering ayurvedic therapy and other indulgences at one of the largest spas in Bali. In the immediate area there’s a plethora of boutiques and galleries in addition to a pick of dining options including the international eatery Made’s Warung, as well as Taco Beach Grill, which serves hand-pressed tortillas. Meanwhile, the free shuttle will carry your appetite to legendary Italian establishment La Lucciola, at one of Seminyak’s finest stretches of sand: Petitenget Beach. Kanishka is only a 15-minute drive from the international airport, making for an easy departure — should you ever decide to leave.
How to Get There
We booked Kanishka Villas for 2 nights in June 2019. Smooth communication and swift airport transfer ensured my first time arriving overseas and in Bali was relaxed.
Our room was fabulous, staying in the 1 bd hot tub suite. Tasty breakfast included both days included several vegetarian options and fruit. Amenities in room were lovely. Easily organised for us a transfer to our second accommodation and held our bags in reception while we did some shopping. Tidy room, would highly recommend Kanishka Villas for their service and for a wonderful stay!
My partner and I stayed in Kanishka Villas an our last night in Bali. We came to Bali for my birthday and specifically chose Kanishka as there was a jetted tub and the place in the photos looked spectacular. However our experience in Kanishka Villas has made it one of the worst places I have stayed at in Bali ever (I’ve been to Bali a good 4 times and I have villa hopped a lot) !
1. We tried to use the jetted tub and wanted to fill it up with warm to hot water. Despite waiting for 45 minutes the water barely filled less than half of the tub, and the water went from Luke warm to cold. Since it was pretty late at night we decided to give it another go the next morning. On top of that, the shower did not have warm water either.
2. We woke up early to fill the jetted tub again. The water was piping hot and turned cold again in 20 minutes. The tub could not be filled again. This time we lodged a complaint with the reception and a maintenance guy told us to retry after half an hour. Half an hour later, the jetted tub was empty. The plug for the jetted tub seemed to be faulty and hence the tub will NEVER be filled completely. After giving up on the jetted tub, the shower had no hot water yet again. We called up reception a good 3-4 times to complain but no action was taken until the very last minute around 11am and we were already showering using cold cold water and it was already time for check out.
3. The interior and decor were old, mouldy, and not maintained well. The floor in the bathroom area was dirty upon arrival and we had to call reception up to give it a good sweep. Taps were rusty as well.
4. Upon checking out, we further complained to the receptionists. The girls at the reception were not very sympathetic to our situation and refused to give us a refund.
Totally not worth the money we paid for the 1 night stay. There are definitely many other better accommodations out there that are more up to par to their ratings, and I would definitely not come back to Kanishka Villas again.
We stayed in Kanishka Villas for a week! All the staff at Kanishka were wonderful! Breakfast came in time every morning, our complimentary foot massages were amazing as were the couples massages
We had in our villa. The pool was cleaned every morning and our room was made up daily with clean towels etc. I loved how our bed was turned down for us every night! I would highly recommend Kanishka villas. Lily on the front desk helped us to hire a motor bike and also with our transport . We will be back.
I booked kanishka villas for my mini-moon.
The front of desk staff we very lovely and friendly. The villas are a little worn and aged needs a little bit of a face lift.
I booked this place as it's stated it has a butler service but it seems they don't it's more like room service staff. It did have a pleasant stay other than I they had vanished a pillar outside of the villa I was staying. I became faint and sick from the fumes as they were stuck in the bedroom even though all doors were closed all day. I had to demand to be given another villa to stay.
Our stay here was for five nights. We had a private pool villa and wow! It has been amazing. The staff have gone out of their way to assist. The villa is very clean, being serviced twice daily. Breakfast is fantastic, a great selection to choose from and arriving promptly every morning. The location is great, walking distance to so many things in Seminyak. The only downfall would be the temperature of the shower but given it has been so hot we have been fine with this. Thanks for making our stay memorable.