The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah, Ubud
What We Love
- The décor, which includes original Balinese artworks
- The cultural charms of Ubud at the property's doorstep
- Regular performances of the traditional Balinese dance, Kecak, at the amphitheater
- Morning yoga, afternoon tea, sunset cocktails, and butler-led walking tours are all included.
What To Know
- Free fast WiFi
- A service charge for staff is included in the rate, so tipping isn’t necessary
- The location, in Ubud’s hills, might be too far from the ocean for beach lovers
- The hotel arranges free return airport transfers
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
An estate turned boutique hideaway, this 20-room hotel has the feel of a private residence, thanks to former owner and collector Hendra Hadiprana’s formidable art collection, much of which graces the walls. The tranquil setting, with views of Ubud’s famous jade-green rice paddies, is a far cry from the tourist bustle of Bali’s beach towns: the daily yoga classes and spa treatments like the signature Chedi Jade Massage or Indonesian cream bath, which combines a deep-conditioning hair treatment with scalp, shoulders and arm massage, add to the Zen vibe.
In the Area
See the fabled Balinese countryside through the eyes of an insider on a walk through the rice paddies and local villages with your butler, who can facilitate authentic experiences like meeting a shaman or eating street food. Visit the nearby Goa Gajah, a UNESCO-listed 9th century temple full of elephant carvings or hit the well-regarded Agung Rai Museum of Art, or ARMA, which houses a collection of significant Balinese artists along with a selection of works from expat talents. Treat yourself to a multi-course French-Balinese fusion adventure at Mozaic, one of Indonesia’s most acclaimed restaurants, or opt for breezy people-watching at Ary’s Warung, which dishes up Indonesian bites like coconut prawns along with European-style staples like gazpacho and goat’s cheese salad.
How to Get There
Stayed three nights in villa 7 with a pool and view into the rice fields:
- fabulous table service breakfast with large range of hot and cold drinks
- kind hearted service from all staff I encountered.
- Kohli drove us from our previous hotel to the Chedi Club and overhead me speaking to the precious hotel about an item we had forgotten. They arranged to pick it up without any fuss and no charge. First class service!
- convenient car service to central Ubud and reasonable charge for after 6pm pick up.
- Very quiet hotel, very few guests, many times we were eating alone or with one other couple in the restaurant.
- friendly head chef, Dean
- lovely butler, Darma.
- new tapas bars looks lovely but wasn't quite open when we were there.
- music at breakfast and dinner
- main pool is large and very quiet
- excellent wifi (could stream Netflix)
- flexible and considerate cut off times for breakfast, cocktails and afternoon tea. Staff would come and ask you if you wanted anything before things closed and happy to give you one more drink for free. I've been to other 5 star resorts with a cast iron cut off. Well done Chedi.
- rooms very pleasant.
- villas with pools offer complete privacy ;)
- large brown ponds in the centre were a bit offputting and populated with dark fish. What's the point? Clean it up and get coloured fish.
- fridge in room was not cold at all so free drinks were not that great.
- grounds are ok but not amazing.
- hot air balloon is anachronistic in this time of climate change and only goes 5-10m in the air (didn't use it).
Overall, I would highly recommend Chedi based on the service and wonderfully breakfast and other inclusive features. Go.
I have chosen the Chedi Club at the end of my wonderful stay in Bali.
I was warmly greeted at my arrival and introduced to Bawa who did an amazing job in taking care of me!
I did enjoy my 5 night stay to the fullest. The hotel area is so beautiful and in the middle of the rice terraces. The Chedi Club is the perfect place to get some rest and relaxation.
In this sense I would like to thank all the staff for giving me such a wonderful experience.
Thanks to chef Dean and his team for and incredible taste experience. Nopi, yoga and all others took care of me at breakfast and dinner! Thank you so much!
Gusti and Dewa also were perfect in providing superb service!
I can only recommend the Chedi Club to the fullest. It was in if my best experiences. Keep up the good work and your smile!
I hope I will be coming back very soon :)
Clemens from Austria
We have been the 7th time in Bali and also every year in our second home Chedi Club. We Love this Place, we love the Pool-Villa with ricefield view, we love the people there (out Butler Supri, our driver Kadek, the best Executive Chef Dean, the very friendly and lovely GM Deasy Swandarini and the whole great stuff), always the perfect service in the best hotel from Ubud. Every time when we come back to the Chedi Club, we feel as we come to friends.
We are sure that we will come back to the Resort Tanah Gajah our 8th time.
Se you soon - Martina & Lukas