The St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort
What We Love
- Fresh coconut water and eucalyptus-scented towels presented upon arrival
- Relaxation nets that hang off the sea deck outside your villa
- A jaw-dropping breakfast buffet, spread across several interconnecting rooms
- The limousine pick-up from Male International Airport
What To Know
- The lights and television in your villa are all iPad controlled
- Be sure to reserve scuba diving sessions in advance—tours typically fill up
- The resort’s most coveted accommodation, the John Jacob Astor Estate, is the largest overwater villa in the Maldives
- Zero gravity yoga and bootcamp classes are part of the menu at the onsite gym
- Free WiFi
- Kids Club
With their coral chandeliers and recycled glass headboards, each of the 77 villas—choose from categories including garden, beach, or overwater—at this swish tropical resort are slices of a Maldivian lagoon. Each is decked with its own private pool, though you’ll likely spend much your time in the far more enticing waters of the neighboring Indian Ocean, where a snorkeling excursion or glass-bottomed kayak ride (the hotel also offers paragliding) can result in tête-à-têtes with spinner dolphins and turtles. The ocean-accented interiors don’t end there: the library is lobster-shaped, the boutique is designed to mirror a conch, and the overwater cocktail lounge takes visual cues from a whale shark. Days here, which begin with sunrise yoga, followed by lobster omelettes and bottomless mimosas, are delightfully languid. At the Iridium Spa, full-body massages and Ayurvedic consultations come with a view of the sea, courtesy of the portholes that stud its soothing white oak interiors. Devote one evening to a five-course degustation menu at Decanter, in the hotel’s generously stocked wine cellar—there’s even a bottle that dates back to the late 18th century—before retiring to your villa for a lazy midnight soak.
In the Area
A 40-minute seaplane flight from Male International Airport will bring you to this remote resort. Large swaths of the Dhaalu Atoll still remain undeveloped, so marine enthusiasts won’t get enough of its unvarnished cobalt waters. Explore them via sunset cruises (your butler can arrange one), on a fishing adventure aboard a dhoni, a traditional Maldivian boat, or through dives to the surrounding sea caves and cliffs—note that guests must be older than 8 for lessons, offered at the resort’s PADI-certified diving center. The staff can also arrange more family-focused activities, including a postcard-perfect photo shoot or a sandbank barbecue.
How to Get There
The hotel is very luxurious, the food is really amazing, you have many activities. My best experience was fishing and being able to swim on the beach from my room, it was magical! My best trip so far!
We visited the resort for 5 nights during November 2018 and it was truly amazing!! The overwater sunset suite, the restaurants, the bar, staff and wonderful service has ensured that we will return very soon! It was a magnificent setting with clear water and tons of marine life, with great snorkeling!
I enjoyed a very good game fishing trip with a great boat and knowledgeable crew and managed very good catches of which one was prepared as a tandoor dish at the hotel restaurant and the yellowfin tuna was prepared as a very tasty sashimi, all to my wishes!
The hotel staff could not have been more pleasant and helpful. Particular mention must be made of the Butler Naseeb, assigned to us. He made our stay very enjoyable.
My daughter had mislaid her bracelet during our stay there and we were very surprised to receive an email from Naseeb to say that they had found it. Naseeb and the rest of the wonderful team went to great effort to ensure that it was couriered to us safely and in good order. I did not expect to have the bracelet found and returned to us.
We will definitely be returning to the St Regis Vommuli Resort in the very near future.
The hotel is fairly new (2 years?) and is definitely very luxurious. We had an overwater villa which had its own little pool which seemed pretty decadent but also meant you never really needed to go down to use the main hotel pool or facilities which added to the feeling of quiet seclusion. The hotel was pretty full (about 80-90% occupancy while we were there) and yet it never felt crowded and you rarely saw other people apart from at meal times and even then it wasn’t overly busy or crowded.
The best things about the hotel:
1. Our room. It was fabulous, super comfortable, couldn’t have asked for any more. You really didn’t want to leave.
2. Also, everything they say about the breakfast buffet is true - it’s probably one of the best I have ever had at any hotel we have stayed in. The variety of breakfast choices is staggering and you pretty much eat until you cry - mainly because the other meals didn’t feel as inspired, sadly (see below).
3. We also used the spa and visited the famous Blue Hole which was gorgeous. Only slight quibble is that the quality of the massages varied depending on the therapist so I had one very good one and one average one which again is a shame considering the prices charged.
4. The hotel is gorgeous. Everything was new and the facilities were fabulous.
Otherwise some things we found slightly disappointing:
1. The house reef wasn’t fantastic and actually snorkelling off the overwater villas wasn’t fantastic as the coral was damaged (presumably due to the recent construction of the hotel). So if your priority is snorkelling, this isn’t the place for you.
2. The food in general - apart from the amazing breakfast - wasn’t the most exciting considering the price.
3. Service was a little patchy at times which you wouldn’t expect from a resort of this standard; some things were forgotten, we had to ask for some things several times, etc. That might have been because they were busy? But it got better towards the end of our trip.
I also don’t think I will bother with a seaplane next time and pick a resort which is easier to get to (ie via boat) as this just adds more faffing around and transfers when basically you just want to get to the hotel and spend as much time as you can there without wasting too much time in transit.
We’ve been to many of the SPG/Marriot collection of resort, but this one is special! It is a virtual world on top of the water! All your worries are gone once you get there...5 stars to the entire staff! Everything was beyond expectations. From the iPad remote in the room, unreal kids club, butler service (Ubad was the best!), biking to breakfast, pool deck to die for, incredible spa (even my 4 yr old had a massage), goes on and on. Chefs and food were the best! Can’t wait to come back!
You expect this property to be wow, and it lives up to the claim 100%.
The rooms are beyond amazing. Staff are fantastic. Food was exceptional.
I stayed for 5 nights and I'd gladly go back again.
Big thanks to Alex and Dominic for leading the best property and the best team in the Maldives.
See you soon! (I hope)