What We Love
- One of the original luxury resorts in the Maldives — the place practically invented “castaway chic”
- Seriously eco-friendly
- Villas have direct access to the white sand beach
- Spectacular spa staffed by visiting therapists
- Free bikes parked in front of villas
What To Know
- A 10 percent per night hotel service charge and a two percent per night carbon tax will be collected at the Jetsetter checkout
- About a 35-minute seaplane ride from Malé (where international flights arrive); transfers are approximately $510 per person, round-trip
- Dress code is casual and low-key
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
- Kids Club
With its impeccable white sand beaches, palatial thatch-roofed villas and stellar spa, Soneva Fushi sets the benchmark for rustic chic in the Maldives. When husband-and-wife team Sonu and Eva Shivdasani built this rustic retreat on the uninhabited island of Kunfunadhoo, the area was known only to savvy backpackers. These days the Soneva Fushi’s look and vibe are widely imitated, and the resort’s pool has grown considerably more crowded. But the Soneva Fushi continues to define the kind of barefoot luxury that the Maldives are known for, right down to the resort’s “no news, no shoes” policy, in which guests surrender their footwear at check-in.
Bed and Bath
The 65 villas share space on the densely forested 100-acre island, hidden behind swaths of plumeria trees that line the beach. The Shivdasanis are visionary eco-hoteliers, so the resort’s roofs are made from woven coconut leaves, and there are aggressive eco programs on-site, such as a recycling plant, a carbon offset initiative and a seawater cooling system. But luxury abounds: Villas have cozy canopy beds and elaborate garden bathrooms that open onto a rambling stone walkway and outdoor shower.
When hunger strikes, guests can traverse a tree canopy bridge for an organic dinner at the elevated Fresh in the Garden, or have a private beachfront picnic on a nearby desert island arranged by a thakaru (butler). The spa’s extensive menu is supplemented by visiting therapists, including acupuncturists, reiki specialists and naturopathic doctors from around the globe, making Soneva Fushi one of the best wellness retreats in the Maldives. Romance comes naturally at a classic Maldivian resort like this one. But nothing quite matches the experience of snorkeling among the tropical fish just steps from your room or seeing the stars from the observatory in the organic garden — both must-dos at this tropical escape.
How to Get There
There are hardly words to describe what an amazing experience we had on the island.
The term dream vacation might be overused, in our case it is just what we experienced and we are were blessed to be here.
Thanks to the staff and everyone that was a unforgettable experience
This review comes a bit a late as my stay at Soneva Fushi dates back to last March, but I truly wanted to share my feedback for the experience was probably the most outstanding ever in a beach resort.
To sum it up, everything was simply pure luxury. Don't expect any glitz and bling there, but rather:
1) A wonderful eco-chic design across the resort facilities and in your villa - the outdoor bathrooms are lovely
2) Beautiful island, which is bigger than most of the other resorts in the Maldives. This gives more opportunity to bike, walk around and explore
3) Top-notch and bespoke service. ALL the staff with no exception was extremely kind, and always smiling. A special thanks to Sae, my Ms Friday during the stay: I strongly recommend her as she delivered the best service I've ever received in a luxury hotel. Her kindness, knowledge about the resort and its history, ability to anticipate my needs without being intrusive, are truly remarkable. Fatima from the main restaurant was also extremely kind and very helpful in her recommendations with the food selection.
4) Unique activities - the water slide in Out of the Blue, the open air cinema - amongst so many others - are truly unforgettable experiences
5) EXQUISITE food - every meal was simply an indescribable culinary experience. The breakfast buffet is the most abundant and delicious I've ever seen in a hotel. The complimentary ice-cream and choclocate bars are such a nice attention as well.
I strongly recommend this hotel and can't wait to plan a return trip.
This was my 2nd visit to Soneva Fushi, and my sister's 4th (she loves the place). Before coming to the details what stands out the most is how much the place has changed in terms of things they offer - restaurants, services, accommodation in 4 years. They keep upping their game to include new things making it a great place to go back to. One of the main things that makes Soneva a delightful experience is the friendly staff who goes out of their way to make your experience one to remember. From managers to your Mr. / Ms. Friday everyone is always there to provide information, help and share more. Out of the Blue and Fresh in the Garden were my favourite dining places. The rooms and the level of detailing to the architecture is amazing with an authentic but comfortable rustic feel.
The diving and snorkelling around too has a lot to offer. After having visited quite a few resorts in Maldives we would say Soneva is still a family favourite.