Niyama Private Islands Maldives
What We Love
- Daily breakfast is included in the Jetsetter rate
- Dancing with sharks — and rays, sailfish, turtles and jacks at Subsix nightclub. The seabed’s a hot dance floor
- Dining on ostrich bobotie, grilled warthog and Colombian ice cream at the Tribal jungle restaurant
What To Know
- A mandatory round-trip seaplane transfer fee (approx. $627 per adult) will be collected at the property
- The house reef is a long way out
- Niyama’s beaches haven’t yet reached powder perfection. Broken coral can be uncomfortable underfoot
- Spa therapies and water sports (apart from kayaking and paddlesurfing) are not included
- Compulsory Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve gala dinners are $350 and $500 per person, respectively
- Free WiFi
- Kids Club
- Room Service
This younger, larger, funkier sister of luxury Maldives resort PER AQUUM Huvafen Fushi opened in 2012 with a blitz of publicity. Most of the attention centered on Subsix — its unique underwater nightclub — but there’s a lot more to the resort on Olhuveli Island, in the Dhaalu atoll. An awful lot more. From global campfire cuisine to a riot of boys toys (including motorized boats and cars) to an art studio and a marine biology lab. Bright, coolly contemporary PER AQUUM Niyama ensures there’s no excuse for boredom or desert island ennui.
Bed and Bath
The 86 overwater and on-land studios and pavilions are bright and light, with cream walls, wood floors and glass partitions. They offer state-of-the-art technology, free movies, and enviably stylish bathrooms containing vast trapezoid bathtubs. The overwater decks support white chaise longues and smoke green infinity pools: ancient Rome meets 21st-century L.A. All have well-stocked minibars to go with the obligatory Nespresso machines; Niyama’s ‘deli-in’ concept means free Häagen-Dazs and superb value snacks, including Tuscan antipasto mix and triple-cream brie.
Fine dining restaurant, Edge, is accessible only by boat and offers panoramic views of the ocean. Equally spectacular, and slightly more hearty, is the meeting of African, Asian and South American cuisines at Tribal, surrounded by fecund foliage and a bushfire. Multiple activities — many, unusually for the Maldives, away from the ocean — are what PER AQUUM Niyama is all about. The energetic vibe, captured in punchy buzzwords — Float (water sports), Quench (spa/juice bar) and Active (computer games, sports simulators, pool table, darts and ping-pong) — should please the more energetic, young and young at heart. Enjoy.
How to Get There
Beautiful island! No words can do it justice. The great thing about this hotel is its size. It would take you a few hours to cycle and check it all out. You will never get bored!
Restaurants are just perfect, great food and a variety of cuisines. The beaches are just breathtaking and the staff equally is great.
Had a hiccup with our Thakuru on our arrival, but within a couple of hours they replaced him with a delightful woman called Rox! She couldnt do enough for us!
Reservations, pickups, dropoffs and no requests we made was impossible.
Just a slight issue with our departure at the Niyamas private lounge at the airport- our flight was late at night and they closed the lounge at 5 or 6pm. They also didnt serve any food or drink- just water which was boring after a few hours. Bittersweet ending to an amazing stay.
I visited Niyama last August (2018) along with my wife and two children (3 and 8) and our experience was superb!!!!
The islands are just like a piece of paradise on earth... The beaches, the lagoon, the pools, the resort, the surf shack, the services and activities, the staff... everything is five stars!!!
There is plenty of things to do for everyone: my daughters loved the kids club, the snorkeling, the dolphins and whale trip, the pool at Blue restaurant, the sunset fishing (we caught a 1,5 meters nurse shark!!!!)... Its Spa is also great and it offers many dinning options (we tried the Tribal and the Edge, amazing at sunset time...).
But above all, I'd like to highlight 3 things:
1. Surfing: for me it was awesome, both in Vodi (the local wave, a clean, fast, playful left) and Kasabu (a perfect right hand wave just 10 minutes away from the resort by boat). Ricardo and Indo manage perfectly the surfing guests, with daily updates of the conditions and plans. They are very professionals, taking care of everybody keen on surfing, preparing every trip up to the maximum detail, giving away tips and tricks in the water... For me they were of great help during the ten days. Thanks a ton guys, I still miss you!!! And Ricardo, you were 10 out of 10 my friend, THANKS!!!!!
2. Diving: spots are two thumbs up, just like almost everywhere in the Maldives, but what really made the difference for us was the extremely helpful attitude (both personal and professional) of Marcelo, our Brazilian instructor. We have no words, he was a star, both with us and our daughter in her first experience with this amazing sport. Thanks a million man!!!!
3. In the managing duties, we'd like to specially appreciate Rebecca's help. She was so bright on solving any issues right away, making our stay smooth and easy... Muchas Gracias!!! Also thanks to our efficient and always kind takuru Junney, the girls still miss you...
Overall our experience was unforgettable and we'll do our best to come back soon. We'd strongly recommend Niyama to everyone, specially to families travelling with children and/or surfing lovers.
Our best wishes to all the Niyama team!!!
Nacho, Isabel, Lola and Alba.
My family and I travelled to Niyama for the second part of our very first Maldives experience. We were greeted from the seaplane by the inimitable and ever present Haf, before being whisked away by our thakuru Juney for a quick orientation tour.
We stayed in a family beach pool villa which was finished to the highest standard and opened directly on to the beach. We could swim and snorkel literally in our back garden. The resort is made up of 2 individual islands 'play and chill', the islands are quite long and thin so complimentary bikes (individually marked with wooden labels) is a great idea to help you get around. Of course, your thakuru can help you get around if you prefer but we loved the freedom afforded by the bikes. Whilst Niyama is breath-takingly beautiful there is also a plethora of things to do. From the dolphin trip (we saw literally hundreds) to my best ever spa treatment, kayaking, paddleboarding, enjoying the sea, beach and pools, sunset at surf shack or Subsix, a private movie under the stars - we still found time to relax and really had the time of our lives with such special family memories. Dining is an occasion and our favourite was Tribal where we dined boma style. I have to give a special to the beautiful Juney who looked after us so well, but the entire resort team seem to share the ethos of Haf and his management team. Thank you so much Naladhu - we will see you again
Very beautiful resort with scenic views everywhere you look, friendly staff and great restaurants. Surf shack is a unique spot to watch the sunset and have a drink. Many restaurants to choose from with very unique styles.
excellent services and varieties choices of great food, enjoyed water sports, the sun and the crystal water. Very chilled and relexing of the whole trip. All the staff are kind, patient, polite and nice