Gangehi Island Resort
- Free WiFi
With a stay at Gangehi Island Resort in Gangehi Island (North Ari Atoll), you’ll be close to Mathiveri Ferry Terminal and Sunset Beach. This 5-star resort is within close proximity of Mathiveri Harbor and Kudafolhudhoo Harbor.
Make yourself at home in one of the 45 air-conditioned rooms featuring minibars. Rooms have private balconies or patios. Complimentary wireless Internet access is available to keep you connected. Private bathrooms with showers feature complimentary toiletries and hair dryers.
Spa, Wellness & Premium Amenities
Pamper yourself with a visit to the spa, which offers massages, body treatments, and facials. This resort also features complimentary wireless Internet access, gift shops/newsstands, and wedding services.
Food & Drink
All-inclusive rates are available at this resort. Meals and beverages at onsite dining establishments are included in all-inclusive rates. Charges may be applied for dining at some restaurants, special dinners and dishes, some beverages, and other amenities.
Grab a bite to eat at one of the resort’s 2 restaurants and 2 coffee shops/cafés, or stay in and take advantage of room service (during limited hours). Relax with a refreshing drink at one of the 2 bars/lounges. A complimentary buffet breakfast is served daily from 8 AM to 10:30 AM.
Business & Travel Amenities
Featured amenities include a computer station, multilingual staff, and luggage storage.
How to Get There
Sharing with you how I prepare for Gangehi. I read all the reviews to prepare for the best & worse. So this is no mean a criticism on the resort. FYI - We stayed in Deluxe Overwater Villa. Room 45 (sunrise view) for a night and then moved to Room 39 (sunset view) for 4 nights. We are a Moslem couple from Malaysia. Took the full-board package from Agoda. (there are all inclusive and Breakfast only).
1) Wifi - very limited on the island. So we got a 7 days prepaid SIM card 17Gb plan from Dhiraagu at the Airport. Worked beautifully. Using hotspots we are able to stream 2 movies a day and 4-5 hours of Sportify. To check your balance everyday just dial *123*6*3*1# on your cell. You can even top-up if needed. All done online.
2) Rooms - We decided to stay on the Deluxe Overwater villa - Select the ones with sunset view. To me some of the beach villa #16-19, Garden Villa 20-21, Overwater Villa - 30-34 are also great. So good to check with hotel. Love the overwater Deluxe. Huge, clean and access direct to water. We saw reef sharks everyday - morning, evening swimming so close to the chalet. There were many colorful fish just below the chalet too. This is the highlight of the trip.
Full board - only 2 drinking bottles provided daily
There is LCD TV in the room, we brought along laptop, download movies and our own HDMI cable so we can screen movies in the room
There is a portable Bluetooth in the room so you can stream music from your cell phone
There is Nespresso machine but the capsule is chargeable. There is mini-bar in the room too.
Bathroom/ toilet no bidet provided
Room is cleaned 2x daily
You can also dry your clothes at the verandah as hangers are provided
The Overwater villa are well maintained
3) Transfer - We took the TMA seaplane vs. Speedboat. Pricey but we arrive within 20mins to the island. Flawless transfer. Speedboat cost US$160 return / person and is an hour ride. Speed boat is fine if its not windy otherwise it will be quite a ride i was told.
4) House reef - Around 1 km and colorful huge fish. Free complementary guided snorkeling by the in-house marine biologist at 4pm is a must. Don't need to go far to snorkel, water is just 3 - 10 feet deep for a good snorkel. Walking on the sand bank offers you the view of stingray, Reef sharks and colorful fish.
5) Food is fantastic. Italian and Maldivian spread. Lunch and dinner are the best. Different salad, pasta and curries offered everyday. Homemade ice cream. Venkat responsible for dessert really knows how to prepare good dessert. Food is halal. If they serve non-halal they will let you know. The staff are mainly Maldivian, Bangladeshis. Friday is Maldivian night. So had their local capati served with shreded tuna. 100 likes!
6) The staff - they made the difference. From the point of arrival - we were greeted by a Filipino - Victor Guest relations. Staff at the restaurants just like family. Most have worked there for 5 - 10 years. Speaks good English and Italian.
7) Privacy - you've got it. There were only 100 people when we were there and most of the time we meet them during lunch / dinner.
8) Activities - min. Snorkeling, diving, board game after dinner. so if you're looking for a place to party this is not the resort for you.
9) Package - we took the full board so drinks are not included. All inclusive will be another option. Since we don't drink alcohol we decided to take the full board instead.
10) Beach pristine white.
overall i score 9/10. 1 point less because of wifi. Paradise on earth.
My wife and I had a wonderful experience during our one week stay at Gangehi Island Resort. We wish we could have stayed longer. From the very beginning, the staff was very attentive. When we notified them that our flight was going to be delayed, they arranged another seaplane transfer for later that same day. Although the island is small, we weren't longing for things to do. The surrounding reef is teaming with colorful fish, small Blacktip sharks, sea turtles, and rays. I loved just snorkeling every day to experience the wonderful scenery.
The folks in the dive center were wonderful. Because there weren’t a lot of guests utilizing the dive center during our stay, I was the only diver on my two dive trips and was able to have one-on-one interaction with the accompanying dive masters, an especially helpful experience since it had been many years since my last dives. Both dive masters were very helpful in assisting with refreshing my skills.
We stayed in one of the overwater villas. It had a wonderful view of the beautiful nightly sunsets. Although the accommodations were nice and clean, they would be much nicer with some updates, especially the laminate flooring, which doesn't really hold up well under the moist conditions. Because we left late on our final day, we were offered another villa (Beachside), at a reasonable cost, for several hours so could continue to enjoy the resort while awaiting for our seaplane transfer. The Beachside villa had been updated and had nice solid wood flooring.
We opted for the Half-Board option and were perfectly happy with the daily breakfasts and dinners. I believe the full-board or all-inclusive would have been much more food than we needed. Breakfast consisted of your choice of pastries, fresh fruits and juices, crepes, and freshly made eggs. Dinners each night consisted of many wonderful salads, fresh fish, and other nightly choices. The food was wonderful.
All of the staff were especially nice and we were received a smile and a friendly greeting from every staff we came across. Seelan, in the bar was especially nice and warm. He made a point to come over to greet us each time we were there.
Overall, we had a wonderful experience. This was our first to the Maldives, so we have nothing to compare it to; however, this was a great resort. It wasn’t overly fancy, but it was very clean, comfortable, and well maintained and the small, isolated island provided for a very relaxing holiday.
In short- we had paid for 7 nights up front and ended up leaving on the 6am boat on our 2nd morning. No refund, wasted $2000. This is not what the Maldives should be, even taking 'value' into account.
This was maybe our 15th island in this paradise and, whilst it's still the Maldives, booking Gangehi was the biggest mistake we've ever made.
To be fair, Gangehi doesn't claim to be a 5* resort - management say TripAdvisor has it wrong. They also pride themselves in not caring about reviews... they have 'tour operators queueing up to book rooms' we were smugly told.
There's no obviously huge thing wrong with Gangehi. It doesn't smack you in the face. But after a very underwhelming welcome and a few hours on the island you begin to get that feeling that most people have paid much less than you to be there.
They may not have, but this is a 3* island at best - tatty, canteeny food, depressing bar, depressed staff.
Unless you get a $100 a night deal and want to rough it with the Italian package crowd, then go to another reasonably priced island like Nika / Fushifaru / Outrigger / Mirihi
Needless to say this alongside the attitude of management to refund none of our stay - not even take money off the bill - leaves us at a 1* review.
But Stefano and the guys at the dive centre (we did one dive) are excellent and have helped it scrape a 2*
We had a wonderful time at the Gangehi Island Resort, I definitely recommend this hotel.
The staff was very nice and attentive, the food was good, the island is beautiful, the hotel is well managed, clean and had everything we needed.
Free daily yoga and snorkelling was available for all the guests which we loved and took advantage of almost every day.
A number of reviews mention that this place isn’t a 5 star, I agree. It’s a nice 4 star hotel. With that said, having spent a lot of time browsing hotels in the Maldives before picking this place, I would say it’s fairly priced and is good value for money.
A couple of things that bothered us:
1. The lighting in the room and more specifically in the bathroom. Eco friendly bulbs were used, which is great, but the light was so weak that it was difficult to shave, put makeup on or do anything that requires proper lighting.
2. The WIFI is terrible. It’s explained in the welcome guide, the speed is low because the service goes over satellites. But still, even the speed boat we used to transfer from the airport had better WiFi than the hotel! Most apps on my phone didn’t work (including Netflix), forget about downloading anything, and most websites took forever to load. We also tried the computer available in the library which wasn’t any better. This was a real problem as the WIFi was the only way I could communicate since my phone didn’t have any network.
Traveled to Gangehi with my husband and 6 year old. They told us the hotel was booked 70-80% but most of the time we felt like we were in our private island, you would run up into a couple or two. But felt like you had paradise all to yourself.
The ambience is very relaxed, you can go barefoot everywhere (I loved that)
Genuine hospitality and personalized service. To name a few details, everybody knew my daughters name, my husband mentioned he liked tiramisu, one night he missed dinner and they saved some for him for the next day.
Breakfast is ok, nothing special but not bad, pastries not worth the calories.
Lunch and dinner are excellent! pasta made in the moment, different types of fresh fish prepared in many ways. There is a Maldivian food night that we enjoyed (we love spicy food)
Snorkeling was awesome, we saw turtles, many types of fish, a shark. There is a diving center in the hotel where you can rent gear for about $10 a day if you are on the full board plan. There is a kayak you can use to go around the island. The only boats you hear are the divers and hotel boat. The temperature of the water is absolutely perfect!
Cocktail happy hour was great, you enjoy the sunset and off to dinner.
Cant wait to return!