Bunga Raya Island Resort & Spa
What We Love
- A five-star hideout between jungle and white sands, including breakfast, transfers and moreSelecting a bottle from a store of over 4,500 in Bunga Raya’s award-winning wine cellar
- Diving among schools of tropical marine life with one of the resort’s certified PADI instructors
- Retreating to a private spa pavilion for a relaxing massage using natural Kerstin Florian products
What To Know
- This resort is secluded; you'll have to take a short boat ride to get here
- Bed down in your own tropical villa
- The 80-foot infinity pool is the property's central feature
You might want to give a little thought to your desert island discs before you arrive at this hidden gem in Sabah, Borneo. Accessible via a short boat journey from Kota Kinabalu, Bunga Raya is the castaway dream, with a staggering white-sand beach to the fore and virgin rainforest as a backdrop.
Make like a luxe adventurer in one of 47 rough-hewn villas, each wrapped in tropical foliage on the terraced hillside. With masses of space and high-end amenities including Thann toiletries, Frette linen and BOSE sound systems, they’re not short on five-star comforts, but the simple timber and stone lets the tremendous scenery do the talking.
Bunga Raya may feel very Robinson Crusoe, but no need to fish for your supper. Dine on fusion Asian and Western fare at open-sided restaurant The Longhouse, which overlooks the 25-metre infinity pool, koi pond and waterfall. For spa relaxation, cross the suspended bridge to the resort’s hilltop sanctuary, and for all manner of leisure activities on land, water and treetops, this island playground is yours to explore.