Vivanta by Taj – Trivandrum, Kerala
What We Love
- Super-central location in Kerala's capital city
- Aromatherapy massages at the Jiva Spa
- Dine on traditional dishes from Kerala at the Fifth Element and follow up with a homemade gelato at the Caramel deli
- Drinks at Twist Bar in the lobby
What To Know
- The Fifth Element restaurant is open until 11.30
- Free WiFi for up to two devices
- Chinapolis restaurant is open for lunch and dinner
- Smoke on the Water, which serves up barbecues by the pool, is open weekends
- There is a compulsory New Year's Eve Gala dinner for guests on December 31; please see the details section for more information
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
- Room Service
With an enviable location in the heart of Kerala’s capital city, Vivanta by Taj Trivandrum is a modern urban retreat surrounded by lush lawns and swaying palms. The interiors combine traditional Indian details and colors with such modernist flourishes as curved glass paneling, embossed leather pillars and recessed lighting. The guestrooms feature polished wooden floors, heavy silk curtains and indigenous artwork. The bathrooms are similarly swank, with large bathtubs, walk-in rainfall showers and Forest Essentials beauty products. For more space and added features, book a Luxury Bliss Suite; it comes with a separate living room and three balconies. Wind down with an aromatherapy massage at the Jiva Spa, then feast on local dishes like Alleppey shrimp curry or lamb Ullathiyathu at the lobby restaurant, the Fifth Element. Follow up with homemade gelato at the low-lit deli, Caramel, or a Long Island Iced Tea at the Art Deco–inspired bar, Twist.
In the Area
The Zoological Gardens provide a serene escape from the heat of the city. (Yann Martel based the animals in his Life of Pi on the ones he saw here.) For a taste of Keralan history and architecture, it’s worth travelling 30 miles out of town to Padmanabhapuram Palace. Your concierge will happily arrange a trip to this 17th-century granite fort, located at the foot of the Veli Hills; don’t miss the 300-year-old vaulted clock tower — the clock still keeps perfect time.
How to Get There
Stayed for a night at the hotel. Got fooled by the Taj tag..... Property is nice and decent. However its is very very old hotel which just seems to have got a fresh coat of paint and varnish. Rooms are fairly large but quite unclean. Bathrooms are also very dated and old. Definitely not worth the money they charge. Overall avoidable.
My wife and I were in Trivandrum for our 1st wedding anniversary, so I booked a night at the Vivanta to celebrate. We are very happy we did! The suite was beautiful, the pool was relaxing, and the bed was the most comfortable I have slept on in a long time.
We want to say a special thanks to the hotel staff Merilyn (I hope I got your name right) who helped make our stay very memorable, including sending the chocolate cake to our suite. It was a delicious touch to an already wonderful stay. Thanks again!
Nov 16-17 2018:
- Mr. Mithun, duty manager took care of us well right from check into room no 527. Now a days it is rare to see a manager lifting our baggages from cart to help his team member, which reminded me decade back Taj team’s hospitality. Front desk is able to do their services well.
- Room service is good except, when we asked for less spicy Bhendi do pyaz & Alu Rasila they served it too spicy. In Room Service teleoperator should ensure to pass on guest special request to Chef to provide good food.
- F&B manager Mr Sudhir and the team were excellent and well mannered and trained. Live counter of Palghat Idli was highlight there. Must taste with gun powder & Ginger chutney. Live Tea & Coffee counter is awesome.
- Condition of the bed room is ok even though old looking but bathroom is pretty bad in terms of old granite flooring, size and the way it is designed. Shower water chokes and some times comes out. WC is hard to sit as no leg space. Need to seriously redesign it during lean seasons.
Visited Trivandrum for the first time in Nov 2018 and stayed for 5 days. The amazingly friendly and helpful staff - good clean rooms. Great spread at Breakfast ; Nice Spa and gym and a clean pool which was hardly used by residents !
This is not my first stay here but I was back after over 4 years. My experience was good overall. Only major disappointment really was when I checked in (had especially requested for and been assured an early check in), it took 20 min to get my room at 1 pm while I had said I would arrive at 12 pm. This really upset and delayed me as I had planned my day meticulously, starting from home at 4.45 am to catch an early flight. Girls at the reception really need more training on handling customers maturely.
My second bad experience was during the first night I was there, there were loud clanging noises from outside my room on the 1st floor, possible from the floor itself. Thereafter the generator noise from outside disturbed me and I had a restless night. Requested for and was accommodated on the 5th floor the next day. But they really need to do something about room noise.
Finally, I once left my room which was found open when I was back...seems there is no auto lock and it was I that left it open. However, this was a bit unsettling for me, coming back after 5 hours to find the room unlocked and no one noticed? Hope they can do something about auto lock. Until then, be careful to check if your door is locked when you leave the room.
That said, service is the real thing here, with a warmth from the heart from each staff, right from the bell boy to the guys at breakfast etc. For that, and the generally comfortable stay and excellent breakfast, I give them 4 stars.