What We Love
- Romantic couples retreat in a traditional Flemish city
- Sleek modern decor contrasting with original 19th-century details, such as stained glass windows and stone pillars
- Salus beds and soft linens
- Breakfast in the restored choir room is a spiritual experience
- Mechelen’s main square and tourist attractions are easily reachable on foot
What To Know
- The property opened in May 2009
- About 25 minutes from Brussels Airport
- The hotel is in a quiet residential area
- There is no on-site restaurant, though there are several options within easy walking distance
- Each room is different in size and details
- WiFi is available for approximately $22 per 24 hours
- Free WiFi
- Parking On Site
With a stay at Martin’s Patershof in Mechelen, you’ll be minutes from Lamot Conference and Heritage Centre and Fish Market. This 4-star hotel is within close proximity of Ijzerenleen Street and Schepenhuis Museum.
Make yourself at home in one of the 79 air-conditioned rooms featuring minibars. Complimentary wireless Internet access keeps you connected, and cable programming is available for your entertainment. Bathrooms have hair dryers and slippers. Conveniences include phones, as well as safes and desks.
Take in the views from a terrace and make use of amenities such as complimentary wireless Internet access and tour/ticket assistance.
Take advantage of the hotel’s room service (during limited hours). Quench your thirst with your favorite drink at a bar/lounge.
Featured amenities include a business center, complimentary newspapers in the lobby, and dry cleaning/laundry services. This hotel has 4 meeting rooms available for events. Self parking (subject to charges) is available onsite.
How to Get There
First the good points - great building (converted church) in a great location close to central Mechelen, my room had lots of character and a very comfortable bed. Staff were very helpful and had a good attitude. However this was offset by a number of issues which need to be addressed as this is not a cheap hotel:
- Air conditioning did not work well (too hot 1st day, too cold 2nd day) and the controls seemed to make no difference to this
- Electrics in the room kept tripping out (5-6 times in 2 days). Called staff the first couple of times, but then got them to leave the fuse panel open so I could just reset it myself as not ideal having to call people up to your room in the night
- Two water leaks through the ceiling of the room on my last night (luckily by the door rather than onto the bed)
- Breakfast not great. 1st day food was very limited even though I was there at 8am (no fruit, hot food looked as though it had been sitting there too long). 2nd day food was better but half the tables were dirty when I arrived and not cleared in the 30 minutes I was there. Seemed short-staffed
I have fed back these issues to the hotel, if they can address them I would consider staying again as it is convenient but I wouldn't expect to have this level of issues given the cost of a room.
One of the unique hotel that I’ve stayed. Deco is nice and classy. Price on the high side, location not far from town center and room clean with a comfy bed. There’s onsite parking which costs 25 euro.
This hotel is in a converted church. And it shows. The lobby, bar and breakfast-, lunch-, diningroom is in honour of the conversion. So why not a perfect score? The room I got was lovely with original features and a faux church window, but it becomes a bit dark. And if you start looking closely at the breakfast room - you realise that most of the decor is modern copies.
Would have loved to see an exhibition of the redesign and the before and after photos.
Still, no real complaints! service faultless and with a smile.
Would I stay there if I was not part of a conference booking? Doubt it - but that should not deter those with a curiosity for church renovations.
First time staying at this hotel where it is located 2 min walk from Novotel. Ex-church has been renovated as hotel in a very quality way. Staff was very nice and helpfull. Room was nicely decorated and clean. The price is in the range of Novotel but this hotel is much nicer and the mattress was extra comfortable. Breakfast was also excellent. Only issue could be they give 15 MB free time internet which is shame but if you ask to reception they give you another code for free internet. Strongly recommend.
For a hotel that touts its green credentials, they don't clean it very well. When I checked in I was shown to a room that obviously had recently been covered in layers of dust. Someone had wiped off the furniture and hoovered but not very well around the edges. The fabric chairs even felt dusty. The back corners of the cupboards still had so much dust on them. Even a cleaning doesn't get rid of dust mites. I ended up having an allergy attack and it set off my asthma as well. They showed me to another room - this one without carpet but I still had the same problem. After a few hours I had to leave. And yes, I'm sure it was the room because I was able to breathe more easily in the corridors and the lobby. They said my booking couldn't be refunded so I was out the cost of the hotel for 3 nights and had to find somewhere else last minute. I ended up having to go to Antwerp. I have allergies and asthma and travel frequently for work. I stay in hotels several times a month. It's been 5 years since I've had a bad reaction to a hotel. There's something seriously wrong there.