Room Mate Aitana
What We Love
- Location on an island in the Ij River, a 10-minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal Station
- Leisurely breakfast served until noon each day (for an additional fee)
- Great views of Amsterdam’s docks and waterways from most guestrooms
- The hotel is entirely nonsmoking
What To Know
- The lounge bar is open until 1 a.m. each day
- Bikes are available to rent at reception
- There’s a restaurant on-site and the surrounding neighborhood is full of places to eat
- The gym has a great little sun terrace on which to cool down post-workout
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
On an island in the Ij River, close to Amsterdam Centraal Station, Room Mate Aitana is a fun design hotel within striking distance of the city’s top attractions. Built in 2013, it sports a clean, contemporary aesthetic — think angular lines, swaths of glass and colorful abstract sculptures. The 284 guestrooms are equally playful, decked out with designer chairs, geometric rugs, patterned walls and floor-to-ceiling windows. The higher category Executive Rooms feature fabulous artworks, giant bathtubs and sweeping harbor views. Elsewhere, there’s a restaurant, a gym, a business center, a sun terrace and a hip little lounge bar open until 1 a.m., while the immediate neighborhood, with its cool cafés and arty startups, is ripe for exploration.
In the Area
Amsterdam’s former shipyards are now home to its hippest neighborhood. Abandoned factories and vast empty warehouses have been transformed into cafés, restaurants, arts hubs and event spaces. For a contemporary culture fix, head to the cool NDSM Wharf or the EYE Film Institute. Later, linger over colorful plates of Cajun jambalaya and superfresh cerviche at the industrial-chic Noorderlicht Café. Top to-dos include a visit to see the Dutch Masters at the Rijksmuseum, a bike ride through Vondelpark, a shopping visit to the Nine Streets and a café-hop around the pretty residential neighborhood of Jordaan.