citizenM Hotel Amsterdam City
What We Love
- Movies on demand are included in the Jetsetter rate
- Chic and spacious lounges, where sassy young staff mix cocktails and you’re invited to play couch commando with the TVs
- There’s a distinct aversion to ripping you off; WiFi and movies are free, and prices for international calls are comparable to Skype
- The self check-in process is seamless and takes seconds
What To Know
- A 5.5 percent city tax per night, will be collected by the hotel at check-in
- All guestrooms have a maximum occupancy of two; Twin beds and cribs are not available
- It's a short tram ride into town
- It’s not possible to open windows in the guestrooms
- READ MORE: 42 Things to do for Free in Amsterdam
- Free WiFi
- Handicap Accessible
Unlike many spaces in Amsterdam, citizenM’s lobby has the scale to pull off an “eclectic world traveler” vibe without looking like a thrift store. Almost the entire ground floor of this converted office building is given over to lounging, and there are plenty of colorful talking points to kick-start the conversation, from the adorable Scotty dog shoeshine machine to the racy coffee table material by the likes of David LaChapelle. The pea green Hella Jongerius sofa — one of several couches strewn about the place — hints at a healthy pride in Dutch design without (mercifully) going the whole clog.
Bed and Bath
Imagine a diminutive, light-flooded Tokyo apartment decked out by Stanley Kubrick. Bed and bath (well, rain shower) are one and the same at citizenM, with space-saving amenities encased in retractable glass enclosures that can be pushed back to increase the square footage when not in use. Of course, whether you want to stare at a toilet — however chic — is another matter. Everything deemed surplus to requirements has been dispensed with, but what remains is a tactile, modular joy. The bed, which takes up more than a third of the room, is more of a nest, complete with a pinstriped plush toy by the name of Marvin.
The traditional hotel restaurant/bar has been nixed in favor of a central bank of on-the-go services designed with characteristic cleverness by in-demand Dutch architecture firm Concrete. This seductively low-lit space offers everything from a decent morning coffee to a snog-me-senseless breath spray from U.K. cosmetics brand Anatomicals, plus hearty microwave meals that can be heated up whenever hunger strikes, a fridge full of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, and addictive raspberry cheesecake from the deservedly venerated Holtkamp patisserie across town. The bank of Apple computers for guests’ use could easily be mistaken for a start-up PR agency’s office, and the proverbs stenciled in the corridors (“A good lawyer is a bad neighbor”) are typical of a brand of hospitality that favors wit over fussy wallpaper.
How to Get There
Great sleep. Liked soundproof rooms, supply of supplemental pillows. Website could specify more clearly where the hotel is located with clearer and more specific directions as to how one can get there.
A very good choice for the night before an early morning flight. Friendly staff helps you out if needed. The bed is so good , you want to take of home. The room has everything you need, not more. Complementary coffee to go on check out (at 5.30 a.m.). 😁
This is one of the citizenM range. It may not be to everyone’s taste so check out the website first. If you want a stuffy, traditional hotel with bellhops, room service and starched linen table cloths this may not be for you. But if you want an amazing bed, fantastic shower, smart room with electronic control of just about everything, twenty-four hour bar and food with excellent friendly service then this Is for you. A six minute walk from Schiphol airport (next the mortuary).
Late arrival and early morning checkout meant we wanted affordable, quality hotel close to Schiphol. On line check-in seemed ok, but the technology didn’t work as well as expected. Ambassador helped out. Room contains super XL comfy bed and all you need for overnight stay. Don’t know if it would suit a longer stay but perfect for what we needed.
This is my second time staying at citizenM (first time in Paris) and I must say I still like it. They seem to get things right - it has this young cool vibrant yet professional place. The room is very nice especially the big comfy bed, the smart control of everything in the room, the right size for short stay, the free movie listing, the plush towels! Staffs are nice and happy!
I would have given 5 stars if not for some qualms about the stay this time. I hope the mgmt read this and check on them:
- room 346- instant odor when stepping into the room - smells like lingering odor left from previous occupants. I chose not to complain as I only stayed one night
- WIFI a little slow at some point during check in
- the round plate at shower area can flip if step on one side (might be potential hazard there)
- suggest to improve TV stereo or add simple surround sound for better movie enjoyment (volume from TV is soft)
Nonetheless, I’ll definitely continue to consider this hotel chain ;)