Viva Zafiro Hotel & Spa
What We Love
- An all-inclusive or full-board stay at a five-star hotel in Mallorca, just minutes from the beach The adults-only roof terrace, with luxurious Balinese day beds
- Enjoying a soothing massage or pampering beauty treatment at the elegant spa
- Going all-inclusive means you can concentrate on some serious relaxation
What To Know
- Getting to the beach means taking a quick stroll through the center of Puerto de Alcudia
- Free WiFi works well
- Complimentary private parking is available onsite
Mallorca has got relaxation down to an art and it seems that the brand new Viva Zafiro looks set to join the laid-back party in style. You can be one of the first to experience this latest member of the island’s five-star offerings, just open this summer. Tucked away quietly just inland from the sparkling Alcudia Bay, the hotel’s suite-only, low-rise accommodation clusters protectively around several swimming pools.
Here you’ll find many different ways to achieve dream-like nirvana. Stretch out in semi-submerged loungers by the pool, relax on a Balinese day bed on the adults-only roof terrace, or lose a few blissful hours in the spa. There’s a Zen-like ambience throughout, with five indoor-outdoor restaurants effortlessly combining natural wood, white walls and green foliage. If you want to up the tempo a tad, Alcudia’s beach is only a 10-minute amble from here, with some lively restaurants, shops and bars along the way.
How to Get There
First impressions were fantastic- speedy check in, upgraded to a room with the best view and after saying they would need around 20 minutes until our room was ready the hotel actually phoned me as soon as we sat down to eat to say our room was ready with luggage already there for us.
The grounds are fantastic with so many swimming pools to choose from.
Entertainment at night wasn’t really for us but some nights music was played so loud until gone midnight we could hear through earplugs.
Location was perfect right by the beach and restaurants.
Day 2 we noticed a wet patch on the ceiling so reported it to reception. Not only that but the last step on the decking had fallen down so we asked them to have a look.
We didn’t hear anything all day so we phoned reception who said they were satisfied they had fixed the leak.
We then went up to the decking and on the way stood on an extremely sharp nail which must have been left when the step was fixed.
We notified reception as felt this was a danger especially in a family resort.
Day 3 we came back for lunch and whilst preparing someone came down our steps from the roof from fixing the jacuzzi- good job we had clothes on. Notice someone was there would have been nice.
Jacuzzi never regulated in temperature was always boiling hot then on the last night was quite cold which was frustrating.
The patch of wet on the ceiling continued to grow and black mould formed along with a sagging ceiling. Still reception assured us it had been reviewed and a room move wasn’t necessary. We found wire on the decking that had been left from the engineer that day which for me is a a big issue with so many children around it could have easily been swallowed.
For me the above experience made me feel the standards of the hotel were not 5* and they need to have serious words with maintenance team about cleaning properly after visits.
Half board- there’s a good choice of food options all of which are just ‘okay’ I was glad we weren’t paying and if we returned we would go bed and breakfast.
Drinks are expensive and can really mount up if you’re drinking at the pool bar. Breakfast buffet is good but very busy and evening buffet is fine as long as you like fish.
Unfortunately a personal item of mine went missing whilst staying at the hotel. I travel with a cushion that I use to aid sleep at night. Despite it being quite large it seems to have been taken along with laundry on the second to last day. I phoned the reception when I got into bed to report it missing and went down 8.30 the next morning where I was told it would have been sent off site and they couldn’t ring the laundry. I would have to wait until the day after we return home to see if it had come back from there. We heard back from them about a week after arriving home to say they had found my item and it then took a further month before I got it back after much chasing.
Check out was really disappointing we weren’t even asked about our stay and when we mentioned the mould they simply wrote the room number down and didn’t say anything else.
Room tip- block 6 is the best especially the rooftop as it has the sun almost all day, views of sunset and views of the stage.
I should qualify this review by saying we were staying off-season, at the beginning of November; the hotel was extremely quiet, which may explain why certain aspects were lacking.
The good bits:
- Rooms (standard junior ones, we didn't go for any sort of higher class) very clean, modern, cleaned and maintained to a high standard. Large balcony, large room, plenty of space even with the sofa bed in use and a baby cot in the room.
- Hotel grounds immaculate. Well-kept lawns, flowerbeds, landscaping. Paths cleaned every morning.
- Excellent buffet restaurant - fantastic choice, mostly excellent quality, and friendly and efficient staff.
- Great choice of swimming pools and places to sunbathe (not much use for us, but it was our choice to go to Majorca in November!) Small heated indoor pool gave us something to do on the rainy days.
- Good children's playground compared to others we've seen. Didn't use the mini-club, but it looked well-used and appreciated by others.
The not-as-good bits:
- Off season - all the other themed restaurants virtually always shut. Only the buffet available. Kind of understand it with so few people in the hotel, but it should be made clearer that this will be the case.
- Would have been nice, for a hotel that claims to be 5*, to have someone around to help us unload luggage and take our cases on arrival (was a bit of a struggle with a 2-year-old and a 3-month-old). Trolleys were available, but no staff in sight.
- Poor evening entertainment. Again, can kind of understand that off-season there will be less call for it, but it's still a family hotel and people still want stuff to do - sticking a recorded pop concert on the big screen does not class as "entertainment" in my book. Wasn't a surprise that the indoor bar was mainly deserted.
- Not sure what was going on with the draught beer in the main bar, but something wasn't right - it tasted weak and strange, and I had to send it back on one occasion. It wasn't much better the following night. At the outdoor bar, we were served what was clearly non-alcoholic beer, despite the phrase never being mentioned at the time of ordering.
- If anyone from the hotel management reads this - in block 6, the "open door" and "close door" buttons in the lift are wired up the wrong way round! Confused us a bit until we worked out what was going on, and why the doors wouldn't stay open when we held the "open door" button!
The main issue was the bedroom layout and lighting. They are very open-plan, with no door to the bathroom and a glass window between the bath and the main room. That's great if you want to keep an eye on your kids or watch TV while you have a bath, but not great if you want any kind of privacy whatsoever. The "bathroom" is entirely open, opposite the wardrobe, with just frosted glass doors to the shower and toilet, which leaves little to the imagination(!). Worse is the lighting - as there is no partition, switching on the lights for the bathroom area still lights up the entire room and you wake up the kids. And if you try and go in the dark you end up falling over something and wake them up anyway. I don't know who designed this, but not having a separate light for the bathroom or some sort of partition wall or door is a massive flaw if you've got young kids asleep in there - and this hotel is obviously aimed at families with kids.
Overall, still a very good hotel, nice stay, had a nice time, mainly tallied with the reviews we saw beforehand, but would probably stay somewhere else next time and it would probably be much better in summer season than in winter.
Lovely hotel, nice, clean, everything you need. Rooms are fantastic, we had the Junior Suite. Hotel staff are fantastic.
We went All inclusive. Premium drinks and extensive cocktail list.
The evening entertainment is rubbish. Considering a 5 star hotel, you would expect some live bands and more of a variety. Pools are nice and the hotel is perfect for young families. The kids club is great and they have a lovely play area. The hotel is very child friendly and kids are able to run around and enjoy themselves.
The Market - buffet restaurant - very good, a lot of choice.
Italian - very good
Mediterranean - Poor
If you have young kids, don't think twice.
The beach is less than 5 minutes walk and they have a nice parade of shops. Old Town is 5 mins away - lovely market on Tuesdays and Sundays.
The staff were fantastic with my son and a special mention must go to... Adriana in the Market restaurant, Borja Aranda, Chistina Gutierrez, Mari Garcia, Kiko.
You made it special for my son, thank you.
After having our hotel changed twice by jet2 due to end of season we were told we had been upgraded from a 4* to this 5* hotel. We were very happy especially after been messed about so much. We arrived and were impressed with check in and our room which we had pre booked an outside whirlpool room.
It advertises 5 restaurants however at just before 4pm the only one we could eat at was the bar terrace so tried to order food to be told it was closed however we could have pizza. Some of our party didn't eat pizza so we asked why we couldn't have anything else to be told it's closed however we could go to our room and order room service where they could then make us burgers etc. I don't understand why we could not just have them in the bar as it was not quite 4pm.
We complained at reception but the guy just shrugged it off as they would prefer to charge a tray charge to up the cost of your bill.
Pretty much the whole of our stay it rained and was cold so going out was limited yet the only restaurant open for most days was buffet breakfast, Lunch and dinner.
We tried the breakfast and every time the sausages were still pink and mince in the middle not cooked so this put us off and we stuck to toast etc.
The room we had had a leak the 1st night however it had gone by the the following day so didnt report it. It also had mould above the sofa where I slept which was from the bad weather it was damp and was under the external stairs, I had to buy cough medicine I only noticed this the day before we left.
I went to put the sheet back on the sofa and under the mattress was disgusting full of bits and hair glad I found it before we left and not when I slept in it. Room 2306 management may want to have a look.
If I had paid 5* price I would be asking for a refund as the facilities were poor due to end of season.
I heard a guy complaining about lack of restaurants and water in rooms on check out and again the guy on reception didn't want to know.
All in all go self catering plenty of restaurants 10 min walk away much cheaper and better quality. We were quoted £30pp just for evening buffet which if the sausages were anything to go by we wouldn't have eaten anything.
Visited in September 2018 (also went in June 2017). We left booking holiday very late and just wanted easy option with small child in tow.
Rebooked and doing very late saved money off the current prices they have on websites for the same time next year - identical week and swim up pool room 5.5k+ for 10 nights simply wouldn’t pay that for visiting Majorca. The exchange rate really isn’t being kind to uk travellers.
Hotel still loved up to what we expected and provided a good fun family holiday.
The main restaurant was good selection of food but on numerous occasions food not hot enough and also flys around food that was out uncovered which isn’t acceptable. They need to sort a covering system especially for the food kept outside - usually the fish / starters.
All the extra restaurants were brilliant and great food and service in all of them.
Entertainment on an evening was poor
All in all a good trip but won’t go back with current prices